ELEVEN.

' ᴄᴀᴜɢʜᴛ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪᴅᴅʟᴇ ' ↙︎

' ᴄᴀᴜɢʜᴛ ɪɴ
ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪᴅᴅʟᴇ ' ↙︎

VERITY FOUND HERSELF SITTING IDLY before the makeshift grave of her beloved, yet deceased cat. Her hands gripped at the thick strands of grass as she pulled them roughly then tossed them off to the side. She hadn't felt such an immense amount of boredom since her mind had tricked her into an image of her dead parents and her parents had confined her to their home.

With each day painfully passing by, Verity made sure to visit her dead cat. Her friends were avoiding her and she was avoiding them just as much. This left her with the only lounging option to visit her cat and confide then.

"Verity!" Her mother shouted from inside the house. She peaked her head outside, catching the girl off-guard. "Don't you think it's time you do something? Head outside, perhaps? Something better than sitting there?"

Verity huffed, turning to her mother. "What do you suppose I do?"

"Maybe go to the park? Make new friends? I don't think that'd hurt," her mother suggested as she stepped outside the house and walked towards her daughter.

"You stand very wrong, Mom. That would hurt, actually. You know everyone hates me... or is scared of me... or finds me weird. Making new friends isn't an option," Verity replied, internally screaming for her mom to leave her alone for once.

"Maybe rekindle your friendship with the friends you had?"

"My gosh, no way," Verity scoffed as she shook her head.

Her mother rolled her eyes, exasperated with her daughter's stubbornness. "I guess talking to your dead cat is better than all those options, huh?"

"Mom!" Verity gasped.

"Okay, okay! Then if you're not willing to do anything I suggested, go to the store and buy groceries," her mother rebuked. "Here, take the list with you," she ordered, clutching Verity's arm and pressing the piece of paper into her palm.

"No, Mom, please. Make Wes go, you never-"

Verity watched for the hundredth time as her mother rolled her eyes, and she found herself fearing for her mother's eyes. She wouldn't be surprised if they got stuck that way. "What I say, you'll do. Go on," her mother shoo'd her as the girl scowled, walking past her in an angry haste.

THERE STOOD THE HOUSE, HIDDEN FROM THE BEAMING RAYS of the sun. Nothing had changed from the last time she stopped by. The grass was overgrowing, the paint was chipping away, the bushes were a dull color. The house almost looked abandoned, and in a way - Verity knew it was. She knew the inside of the home was just as dull - no pictures scattered on the walls, no family dinners, no holiday parties, no communication. It was a void.