FIFTEEN.

(ミ★) CHAPTER FIFTEEN | closure

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"I KNOW WHAT I'M doing for my summer experience essay," Richie said from beside Verity. They all breathed heavily, eyes still fixated on the shadowed crater in the ground where the clown had disappeared into.

Verity inched closer to Eddie, needing to feel his presence near her, and she would've grasped his hand if it weren't for the slime that covered him head-to-toe.

Bill turned to Beverly and embraced her tightly.

"Guys, the kids are floating down," Eddie announced.

They all whirled to face the light that wove through the space that opened vastly above them. The kids who were snared in it began descending slowly, all at once.

Verity didn't notice Bill had stepped away until a clang! resounded in the silence as he dropped the metal object he had gripped in his hands. Her heart wrenched as she noticed where his attention had shifted to. Georgie's raincoat lay near the tall pile of objects under the thread of light. Bill kneeled, dropping to the floor as he picked the raincoat up into his hands. It was tattered and grimy, but Bill held it close as though it were the most delicate and precious item he'd ever held.

All those months looking for Georgie, the faith that had never faltered in Bill's soul. All the efforts to find Georgie-but it had not been for nothing. They had beat the clown, found the rest of the missing kids. Verity knew it was Georgie who drove Bill, who was the incitement in his very core, but Georgie was really gone, and nothing had ever pained her more as she watched Bill crumple before her very own eyes.

Together, his friends walked towards him. Bill's shoulders shook as he cried. Verity knelt beside him, and wrapped her arms around him. "It's okay, Bill," she whispered softly. "We're here with you till the very end."

Richie hugged Bill from his other side. Then they were all hugging Bill, letting the sobs rack his body. They'd wait with him until he could stand on his legs. It did not matter if it took hours.

They would wait until he was ready.

Her fingers struck the wooden door softly. Verity stood waiting patiently for Talia to open it. She hummed awkwardly to herself, glancing around at Talia's front yard that looked dull compared to the last time she'd visited. The flowers that once decorated the sides of her driveway had now shriveled into dim colors. The grass, which had always been well-kept was now ranging in brown shades and appeared as thought it had not been mowed for some time now.