Chapter 1

Ryuk sighed as he stared at the blank walls of Light Yagami's bedroom in boredom. It was no longer in use since his death five months prior, but Ryuk had no better place to be. The room had been...a memorable place. Ryuk shuddered. Light had been interesting, but he longed for something more. Not just killing. Death was an everyday occurrence. No, he wanted--longed for something else. Something alive, something that would change his life, something...

His eyes snapped open when the door to Light's room opened. Light's younger sister, Sayu, and another female about the same age or younger filed in. Sayu gestured around the room. "And this used to be Light's room." The other girl walked around, examining bookshelves and inspecting the bed Ryuk was laying on. She is quite beautiful...for a human, Ryuk thought. "Is it really alright that I will be living here?" the girl asked. Ryuk's eyebrows raised. Living here? Sayu nodded. "Given the situation you're in, me and mom are happy to help!" The girl smiled slightly, tears in her eyes. "Thank you, Sayu." Sayu waved it off. "Pish-posh! Stay as long as you want. Let me go get your bags from the living room."

Ryuk studied the girl as she was left alone in the room. Moments before he had been wishing for something that would change his life. To be honest, he had really just wanted an apple. However, this girl would do just as well.

She sighed and turned to the bed, facing Ryuk. "I wonder if I will be a bother to Sayu and Ms. Yagami," she thought aloud, "I know they said I could stay here as long as I want but..." Ryuk smirked. It was almost as if she was talking to him. "But what?" he implored, knowing she couldn't hear him. The girl crossed the room and gazed out the window. "What if I don't want to leave?" Ryuk's eyes widened, and if he had a heart it would break. He didn't know anything about this girl except her name and when she was going to die. What happened to this human?

Sayu stumbled into the room with a small suitcase. "Sorry it took that long. Mom wanted to know what you wanted for dinner." The girl turned around, looking thankful her thoughts had been interrupted. "Thank you. Whatever you want to eat is fine." Sayu nodded. "I knew you'd say that, so I asked mom if she'd order pizza. That's all you ever talked about since returning from America." Former foreign exchange student...interesting. The girl's eyebrow's raised. "They have a pizza place here?" The other girl shrugged. "It was advertised on television the other day. I thought you might have seen it." She shook her head. "Well," Sayu continued, "if it sucks, then we can always eat the apple pie mom just made."

"APPLE PIE!?!" Ryuk shouted in glee. "ANYTHING WITH APPLES IS GOOD!!"

The girl grinned. "I love apple pie!! Anything with apples is good!"

Ryuk looked at her in curiosity. "That was creepy."

"Anyway, I'll let you get settled in. Mom will call you down when the pizza's here," Sayu commented as she headed for the door. "Um, Sayu?...Thank you." Sayu turned around and smiled. "Your welcome, (y/n)."

As soon as the door shut, (y/n) rushed to her suitcase and set it down on the bed. Ryuk moved his foot so it wouldn't land on him and things get awkward. The contents of the small suitcase were a few outfits and a copy of Romeo and Juliet. "Heheheh, such a stupid play. Humans are so ironic." Ryuk cackled. (y/n) paused as she lightly touched the book in the case. She tilted her head. "I suppose." She tossed the book aside. Ryuk's eyebrows furrowed. "What's going on?"

(y/n) lifted the bottom of the suitcase to reveal a hidden compartment. Beaming wide, she looked at Ryuk and said, "Now that we're alone, we can finally talk. You must be Ryuk."

Inside the compartment was Light's old Death Note.