**~Christmas special~**

Late Merry Christmas to you all!! Thank you for reading this fic! I never thought it would get this far, but you made it happen >w< If you haven't seen it yet, I have a sequel oneshot to this story about Rem called "Numb". Please check it out if you liked this!!

Anyhoo, this fic will be set before (Y/n) dies and becomes shinigami and such, but she knows that Ryuk loves her and vice versa.

(To the observant reader that caught the fact that the entire work was set in July through mid September: sshhh. Let me have my Christmas fluff.)

~Era Hatter

***

     (Y/n) (L/n) strode down the street looking through the glass windows and admiring the bright lights and decorations of each shop she passed by. She took in a deep breath, smelling cinnamon, mint, and chocolate on the breeze. Christmas was finally here. Usually she despised the holiday, but the recent confession of a special shinigami made her love this time of year.

     Ryuk floated behind the teenager as she enjoyed the holiday spirit. Now that he remembered who he was and returned (Y/n)'s feelings for him, he felt lighter, happier. None of these things a shinigami is supposed to feel. So as the king says, but you know better, Ryuk...

(Y/n) stopped in front of an antique bookshop of sorts. White Christmas lights adorned the shop's door and the small window installed in it glowed warm yellow.

"Go inside," Ryuk prompted as he sensed the girl's excitement.

     She slowly pushed open the door and was met with the smell of musty pages and cinnamon. The shopkeeper greeted her with a small nod before continuing her small talk with another customer. Upon further entrance, (Y/n) was presented with a small area of scattered couches; the walls around the space lined with antique books. The teenage girl couldn't seem to help but reach out to the books.

They call to her. Just as she calls to you.

Yeah, yeah, enough of the talking. You were supposed to disappear.

But this is the Christmas special. Though it is late, deal with it.

What--?

(Y/n) squealed softly as she took a thick volume off the shelf. Ryuk leaned over to read the title.

"The Complete Works of Shakespeare.  Don't you have The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet already?"

"Yes, but this..." She ran her fingertips along the smooth cover. "This is everything. All of his works right here."

Ryuk gazed at the awestruck girl. Her (h/c) hair shone against the dull color of the sweater she wore. Cheeks, now a rosy color, brightened her face. She was beautiful.

Pity she would die tomorrow.

"Are you going to buy it?" Ryuk asked.

(Y/n) opened the book and whiffed the pages for a moment before sighing and placing it back upon the bookshelf. "No. I won't have time to enjoy it properly."

"And?"

"And...I said no. I can't afford it anyway. It would take a Christmas miracle for that to happen."

Ryuk pondered while they exited the shop. There had to be some way to get her that book...

A lightbulb went off in his mind. Ryuk's grin grew wide as he began to plan a way to get the book for (Y/n)...

***

     (Y/n) woke up the next morning as she had done the morning before: looking for Ryuk. Only this time was different. She knew he hadn't left her alone. He was probably just getting some apples or something in the kitchen.

     As she got out of bed, a flash of red caught her eye. She turned toward her desk where a brown paper packaged rectangular present sat, tied with a metallic red bow on top. (Y/n) chuckled and sang, "Brown paper packages tied up with strings, these are a few of my favorite things..." She lifted up the gift to the morning light. Scrawled on the top in familiar handwriting was her name.

"Oh, Ryuk," she sighed.

The girl carefully unwrapped the paper and gasped at the contents. It was the book of Shakespeare's works she had gazed at from the night before.

"How..."

A shadow loomed behind her, and two arms snaked their way around her body.

"I have my ways," Ryuk replied smugly against her hair.

(Y/n) rolled her eyes.

"You aren't going to tell me how you did it?"

Chuckling, the shinigami whispered, "Merry Christmas."

***
I'm sorry it's so short!! (Hides in corner) I came upon a writers block and only came to today (12/29/18) so um yeah thanks for reading!!! Comments are always welcome! Thank you!