Chapter 10

(Y/n) slowly blinked as she awoke from her slumber. Memories of Ryuk holding her before she fell asleep flooded into her mind. Her (e/c) eyes snapped open. She sat up and turned her head around the room to find that she was alone.

Ryuk had left her again.

***

Water fell onto the shinigami in scads, cascading over his shoulders in an angry torrent. Deep inside, Ryuk knew that no amount of cold water could wash away his feelings. He was in love. He was angry, He was guilt-ridden. He was sorrowful. He was...human. Not physically, of course, but more mentally than anything else. No amount of arguing with his conscience could deny that.

Ryuk glanced at his hands in despair.

"Only human, after all..." he sang softly and chuckled bitterly.

His eyes shut tight in agitation. He had never been this close to being human. Shinigami were incapable of falling in love, or so the king said. Ryuk never thought about it before. He never cared enough to. Now his life was in chaos. If only he had never met (Y/n). If only he had never dropped the Death Note in the human realm. If only he had never stolen it in the first place. If only he had never picked up that stupid book in the clearing...

In the clearing?

Panic seized Ryuk as he blacked out.

***The owner of the note can recognize the image and voice of the original owner, i.e. a god of death.***

Pain emanated from his back as he ran as fast as he could from the one thing standing in his way from freedom. The large Sicilian man behind him shouted angry curses in his native language as he tripped over the large boxes on the port. The boat Afsal had come on was full of mice and grain and he hated it. It was only a matter of time before he was sold to another family. The one before had beat him for practicing his writing. Apparently language learning was not in the job description for bookkeeping. Stupid Europeans, he thought.

The large man got up from his mishap and cracked the whip in his hand. Although he was several feet away, Afsal's back trembled in fear. He had already been whipped that morning when they docked but finally escaped when his "owner" thought he was unconscious. If only he could find another boat, he could sail somewhere where there was no slavery, no whips, and no endless torture from the white men who hated the color of his skin and his lack of religion. No, first he must hide. Wait until dark before he left. He would be safe then.

Afsal made his way across the road and to the nearest bit of greenery he saw. It wasn't much, but it would have to do. The bright green trees seemed like heaven after what he'd been through. A clearing in the small forest came into view. The voice of the large man vanished on the cool breeze. He was alone.

The ground shifted and his gaze was cast to the object beneath him. A thin black book stuck out from underneath his bare feet. Afsal picked it up silently and looked at the title written in English. A vengeful smile crept onto his lips.

"Death Note?"

***

It was much more fun to be in charge of the lives of many than to be a servant, a slave. Nothing gave him more satisfaction than watching people's skin turn the very color they hated most. He named it Black Death, and his shinigami counterpart made no comment but smiled all the same. She never said much. She didn't have to. This was his decision. He knew he was going to die soon. It had been years since he picked up the book, and he had made the eye deal. It was just too much fun to pass up the opportunity to get his revenge.