everybody's seen a twig

"I am Groot

          "I am Groot."

"Tinkle in the cup," Rocket responded in exasperation. "What's a twig? Everybody's seen a twig before -- you know she's seen his before."

     "I am Groot!"

     Standing tall with his arms folded across his chest, Thor didn't even blink once as he stared out the back window of the pod while Rocket sat in the pilot's seat, arguing with Groot who sat in the back. Unsure of whether she was supposed to be comforting Thor or not, Aura had decided it was best to leave him be as he most likely needed some time alone after watching everyone he loved get mercilessly slaughtered before his very eyes the same morning he had been forced to murder his sister.

     "You can pour what's in the cup out in space then go in the cup again," Thor said, before Rocket could say anything.

     "You speak Groot?" Rocket asked, surprised.

     "Yes, on Asgard that was an elective," Thor answered plainly.

     "I am Groot."

     "You'll know when we're close," Thor said, sighing heavily as he sat down on a slight ledge, sorrow written into every book and cranny of his face. "Nivadellir's forge harnesses the blazing power of the Neutron Star. It is the birthplace of my hammer. It is truly awesome."

     "Thor... " Aura's words were a low murmur as she turned to Thor, her gaze soft but worried. "Are you okay?"

     "I am," answered Thor, looking anything but okay.

     "So, dead brother, huh?" Standing up, Rocket walked over to where Aura and Thor were as he busied himself with a small, spherical compartment in the lining of the pods walls. "Yeah, that can be annoying."

     "Well, he's been dead before. Now this I think it might -- it might be true."

     "And you said your sister and your dad -- "

     "Both dead."

     "But you still got a mom though, right?" Rocket asked weakly.

     "Killed by a Dark Elf," Thor said bleakly.

     "A best friend?"

"Stabbed through the heart."

Aura's fingers trembled as she gazed at Thor, who was so obviously struggling to hold himself together as he bounced one finger up and down on his thick, muscular thighs. Of course, she had known Thor had never had the best life for the short time she had known him, but to hear him so nonchalantly answer all of those questions about it only made Thor's story more and more depressing as she slowly realized that Thor had lost nearly everything he had ever cared for.

"Well," said Rocket slowly. "At least you've got her."

"That is true," Thor admitted, glancing at Aura as she shifted slightly. "Fate has not robbed me of her yet, unlike all of my friends, my entire family, my entire planet which was decimated and -- "