o n e

Hey guys! Brand new story- hope you enjoy. Make sure you don't judge by the first chapter :)

There will be some scenes that you may not find appropiate.

- - -

A long while ago she would have found the chirping and whistles of the song birds to be a relaxing sound, but now Presley found it simply annoying. The sound attracted roamers, and therefore made it so she had to be on constant alert. She'd left Zeva in the Jeep to watch for people trying to get a hand on their supplies. While Zeva couldn't do much about roamers, she did keep the bandits away.

For two different species, Zeva and Presley made a pretty good team. Zeva could smell the roamers before they even stumbled close enough to show their rotting faces. The girl took them down, and the mutt retrieved the arrows.

So far the hunting trip had been succesful and quiet. She'd managed to take down two plump squirrels with arrows. Still, she wanted more. She was already out here after all, no sense in coming back tomorrow when they could prepare enough food to last them a few days. Another squirrel or two would supply them for a while, at least. Perhaps a hare would stumble across her path.

She could make a stew by using what meat and roots they managed to cross. Taking that survival class her dad had showed her years ago had really paid off. If it weren't for him and his paranoid mind, the poor girl would have been dead a long time ago.

Presley Scott was John's only daughter. Her mother had died giving birth to her, so she'd been raised by her father. It hadn't been easy. In fact, easy would be an understatement. He lacked the softness of a mother, simply teaching Presley how to survive in the world. While all that proved to be useful, it had caused the girl to be a little cold at times, cherishing her life over everybody elses'. At the beginning of the outbreak, she'd had a soft heart, trying to save every life she could. Unfortunately, each time it only led her to disappointment.

And thus, she relied only on herself and Zeva.

Crouching on top of a fallen log, the girl surveyed her surroundings. Long, wavy black hair fell over her shoulder, tied back with a pony tail. A red bandana wrapped around her head, securing the smaller hairs into place.

While beautiful, her beauty couldn't charm the roamers, so therefore it was useless in a world and time like this. If anything it simply put her in more danger.

She knocked an arrow into place, sighting the small hare nibbling on green grass before her. He would stop and look around on occasion, but he didn't catch sight of Presley perched on the rotting log. She pulled back the string and released, watching with a thin smile as the arrow pierced the hare in the eye.

She was just gathering the furry rodent and pulling it into her pack when she heard a stick snap. Instantaneously, she dropped down onto the ground, knocking another arrow into place. Bright blue eyes looked in the direction of the sound, and slowly she began creeping forward.

Nearly fifty meters in front of her stood a beautiful grazing doe. While most would have admired the beauty, she admired how plump the animal looked. At the mere thought of the food this deer could supply made her stomach rumble. While she would have preferred a fat hamburger, there weren't any cows running around in the woods. She pulled back an arrow, aiming right for the heart. She wasnt thinking about the struggles that it would take dragging that deer back- she was thinking about her rumbling stomach. Taking a breath, she released.

Little did she know, her arrow wasn't the only one flying towards the unsuspecting animal.

Her arrow pierced the deer, and only seconds later another arrow burried itself on it's other side. Seeing it just in time, Presley dropped down even closer to the ground, gripping her bow tightly. Another human- who would have thought they even existed anymore?

He was a tall man, with long dark hair and a broad build. A crossbow was now slung across his back, similar to the one Presley's father used to use. He knelt down beside the deer, catching sight of the second arrow. He hadn't seen her, but he knew that he wasn't alone.

Without thinking, Presley reacted. She dropped her bow and shrugged out of her quiver, launching herself at the man before he had a moment to react to the second arrow.

"The hell-." The man shouted as he stumbled. The sudden force of Presley's attack wasn't enough to drop him, unfortunately. She dropped and rolled away as he spun to tear her off his back, his fingers missing her hair by a mouse tail.

He faced his attacker, but Presley was already crouched and ready, a knife in hand. Before he could get a good look at her, even long enough to see that she was female, she threw herself at him once again. She wasn't strong enough to beat him on her own, but she knew she was quicker than him.

She aimed for a leg but he dodged, but she knew the knife had cut through his pant leg and grazed his skin. He let out a hiss of anger or pain and spun, hitting the girl in the back with his fist. She stumbled and cried out at that, but managed to catch herself before she could face plant. She nimbly rolled over onto her back, kicking out her legs just as he approached her. Unfortunately, she missed once again.

The man dropped to his knees and straddled the girl to keep her from kicking him, and then grabbed her wrists. His eyes widened at the sight of her face as he pinned her arms down over her head. "I just 'bout got my ass laid out by a girl."

Presley laughed bitterly, still struggling beneath him. "Yeah, yeah you did." She spat at him. "Get the hell off me."

"Drop the knife." He ordered, but she refused. Her tiny fist was still clamped tightly around it, no matter how hard he shook her hand she simply wouldn't let it go. "Look, missy, I'm already pissed at ch'you. Drop the fucking knife and maybe I'll let you walk away."

But the girl stubbornly refused.

Finally, he squeezed her wrist so hard that it began to cramp and ache. A tiny whimper escaped her lips, one she would kick herself in the rear for later. "Do you have any more weapons on you?"

"No."

"Yer a horrible liar." The man laughed cruelly, patting her body in search for weapons. She cringed and thrashed when he patted the spot between her breasts. He found two more knives and a pistol.

"Damn, ye don't carry light, do ya?" He said as he tossed the weapons aside.

"Do you?" Presley questioned, her voice dark and threatening. Unfortunately, the man didn't find her threatening at all. In his eyes she was simply an annoyance. He pushed himself off of her, dragging her to her feet and holding her by her elbows. She thrashed and fought him, but his grip only tightened.

"Hold still, damnit." He muttered, and began dragging her towards the thick trees. Somehow, Presley found the strength to dig her heels into the ground, the sudden force forcing the man to stop. He turned his entire body to look at her- a big mistake on his behalf. Wrenching one of her arms free, she grabbed his shoulder and brought her knee up, catching him directly between the legs. He doubled over and groaned, and she took the chance to grab his head and hit it against her knee. She pulled away as he dropped to the ground, a heavy flow of curses on his lips.

She gathered her weapons and retrieved her bow and quiver, aiming strait at him. He looked at her through dark eyes, as if daring her to shoot. He was still laying on his side, a flow of blood coming down from his nose. He looked beaten, but she knew better than to get too close.

"It was nice meeting you, my friend. Later, after all this is over, you can tell all your new little friends that you not only nearly died because of flesh eating monsters, but because of Presley." She said boldly, flashing a glowing smile before disappearing from his sight.

- - -

I'm never good at first chapters, as you can see

vote, comment, xo

The first chapters will be fairly uneventful, but they will lead up to an exciting climax. Everything will pick up, die down, pick up, die down... Just like any regular book you may have read.