t w e n t y e i g h t

"Damnit!" Presley's angry voice rang through the car, frighteneing Stefan. He had finally been dozing off, and now here she was, shouting. He lifted his head groggily, looking at the raven-haired girl sitting beside him. Her hand smacked the steering wheel quite violently. He was startled awake completely when she practically slammed on the brakes, sending him hard against his seat belt.

"Okay, ow." He said, rubbing the place where the fabric had hurt his chest. The car came to a complete stop, and Presley hit her head against the steering wheel, emitting an angry groan. "What are you complaining about, crazy?" She glared at him when he called her crazy.

"Zeva. I forgot fucking Zeva." She groaned again.

"So? I forgot my favorite pair of pants there." He said, rubbing his forehead in an attempt to wake himself up.

"Stefan, she's my dog. We have to go back." She said, gripping the steering wheel tightly. "But I can't... I just-."

"Hold up, you'll go back for a dog? I mean, don't get me wrong, that's a bad ass dog, but Presley Scott? A dog?" He laughed weakly. "Who would have thought your soft spot is some mutt."

Presley glared at him again, throwing the car into reverse. "I don't have a soft spot, Stefan." She said quietly.

"Obviously. I mean, you're going back for a dog." He laughed, sitting upright in his seat. 

"No, I'm going back to leave you there." She growled, earning a laugh from Stefan. 

"No you aren't." He said playfully, pinching her cheek between his fingers. "Oh so now you decide to go the speed limit." He said, glancing at the speedometer. She was still going five miles over the speed limit, but it was still much slower than before. Why? She didn't really want to return to the prison and face Daryl again. She wanted to get in and out of there as fast as humanly possible.

- - -

Merle sat in the cafeteria, with only Daryl at his side. Each of the people in that room looked at him with dark and narrowed gazes, each of them looking skeptical of his existance among them. He knew that they wouldn't trust him, probably not ever. Apparently they had all seen how 'different' Presley was after she returned from Woodbury, as Daryl had explain it to him.

"Where is yer lil' pet?" Merle asked, not spotting the head of black hair anywhere.

"She left, Merle." Daryl muttered in reply, avoiding his brother's gaze. She left because of you. Daryl knew deep down that it was his fault for letting her leave, for not going after her... But all he could do was remain hopeful that she would return for Zeva. He looked down at his feet, seeing the black dog laid out under the table. Mika had fed her and watered her, hoping that it would make the dog look less sad... But it hadn't worked. Zeva now followed Daryl around like a lost puppy, which was probably a good thing. That way when she returned, she would have to talk to him in order to get Zeva back.

"What? Why?" Merle asked, but Daryl simply shrugged. He knew that Merle wouldn't care that it was his fault, so he didn't mention it. "Well, she sure looked fun." Daryl's grip on the plastic fork in his hand tightened, snapping it in half. He saw Merle's smirk grow out of the corner of his eye.

"I knew it! Ye have feelin's for the little bitch." Merle laughed cruelly. Daryl was about to tell him otherwise, but he didn't get the chance to. "She too good for ye, baby brother. She ain't gonna love ye. Only I will ever love ye."

Daryl looked away, a stinging in his chest. He had already known that the girl was far out of his league, but that had been in the world before this one. He didn't know why he suddenly thought that the rules didn't apply now. His throat constricted and he shook his head. 

Suddenly, there was an explosion, which rattled the entire building. Everybody froze, a few women screamed. In just an instant, Daryl was to his feet and sprinting through the prison, out to the yard. He grabbed a gun and ducked, seeing a few men posted outside the chain link fences. It only took a second for the fearless man to grab a machine gun and rapid fire towards them.

"I'm sorry, baby brother... Can't let ch'ye get hurt." The butt of a gun hit him over the head, knocking him out instantly. 

- - - 

"Rick!" A feminine voice screamed. Rick was in yard, right before the fences and speaking harshly to the Governor. The Governor smiled cruelly.

"I just came here to return something..." He said, turning and motioning for somebody to bring something forward. At last, a man revealed a small brunette, ripping the bag from her head. Rick tensed at the sight of Maggie, her cheeks tear stained and a few bloody scratches on her face and arms.

"Let her go... Let her go!" Rick shouted, clenching his fists angrilly. The Governor grasped Maggie by her arm and pushed her towards the gate, quite harshly. She stumbled foward, waiting for the gates to be opened. At last, Michonne opened them and the brunette squeezed through. 

"Relax, Rick." The Governor said, smiling again. "She wasn't near as fun as Presley... Gave up so much more quick." He tsked his tongue. Rick embraced Maggie, holding her small body to her chest as she cried. Rick shook his head. "Speakin of, where is my little Presley? How is she doing?"

"She left. She's long gone." Rick said quietly. Surprisingly, the Governor nodded. 

"Poor girl didn't want to break down in front of you." He sighed, turning back to the line of vehicles. "I'll be seeing you again quite soon, Rick."

- - -

Presley rolled up to the gates hours later, slamming the palm of her hand against the steering wheel. The horn honked quite loud until the gates swung open, welcoming the Jeep in. Instantly, she knew from the worried expressions that something was wrong. She stepped out of the Jeep, looking at the broken group with a frown.

"W-what happened?" She asked, spinning in a circle and looking around. The place looked intact, but something was off in the air. Zeva bounded towards her owner, but the dog didn't look all that excited to her Presley. Distracted, she simply patted the mutt's head and looked at Rick, who was approaching her.

"The Governor..." Rick said, and then Presley saw Maggie. The brunette rushed towards her, and Presley welcomed her with open arms. She looked at Rick, confusion masking her beautiful, grungy face. 

"What did he do?" She whispered, frowning.

"He took Daryl." Rick said finally. "The Governor took Daryl."

- - - - -

Yeah, cliffie. I know you guys just love them <3
What do you think will happen to Daryl? Comment below! 

More votes = faster updates