t h i r t y - n i n e

Guys, I literally can't breathe. I am so, so thankful right now... I am in tears. Like, what? I've spent a lot of time and energy in this story, but why? To release the stress of every day life. I have insomnia. There have been countless hours where I have stayed up writing, just because I couldn't sleep.

Three thousand reads? One hundred sixty-five votes? This is beyond... This is so, so amazing. Thank you so so so so much. Gah I love you...

Please vote? Seeing you guys vote makes my world go round. c: 

- - - - - - - - - - -  -

"Presley?" Daryl's hand laid out on Presley's curve, her glowing ivory skin looking luminous in the moonlight. She wasn't a tanned girl, but the paleness somehow complimented her well. It gave her a sharper, dangerous look. 

At the sound of her name, the girl stirred. She mumbled something incoherent, groaning and stretching her sore limbs. The events of last night came back to her like a flood, leaving her with a confused mind and slightly sore body. "Hm?" She hummed finally, resting her head back onto the pillow. The plush feathers supported her head, even when she drew them more tightly to her face and body.

"It's almost mornin'." Daryl informed her, propping himself up with his arm. His finger wrapped around a black tendril of hair that resembled a raven feather, the glistening strands slipping easily between his fingers. How she was able to keep her hair so soft and well-kept was beyond him.

"I don't care." She groaned, bringing her knees flush against her chest. Daryl stared out the window, hesitating. What could a few more hours of sleep do to them? Even at the prison, they had never been the ones to sleep in past the time that the sun had risen over the horizon. Both of them were haunted by nightmares from different reasons. Hers from the Governor, and Merle's 'death' had taunted him and horrified him, and so they both suffered from severe insomnia.

He laid back down, drawing her closer to him and using his own body to shield her from the door. He drew the covers up over his shoulder, ensuring that they fell over her body before allowing himself to drift back to sleep.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Stefan approached Maggie, who was sitting at Glenn's bedside. Her head hung on her shoulders, her eyes drooped down towards the ground. Glenn was sleeping soundly, while she sat there, numb. Maggie was feeling almost exactly what Stefan felt, but for different reasons. Stefan was brokenhearted because he knew that Presley's feelings belonged to Daryl, but Maggie was brokenhearted because she knew that there was a chance that Glenn wouldn't make it.

"How's he doing?" Stefan asked curiously, searching Glenn's face. 

"No better, no worse." Maggie sighed, leaning back and pulling away from her husband. Her eyes appeared hollow and empty. "I can't loose him- not now. He and Beth... They're the only things I have." She sniffed. "Now I don't even know where the hell Beth is, and Glenn is on his death bed."

Stefan looked at Maggie, frowning, but he listened. Maggie was a beautiful, strong girl, he had come to find out... But her reasons for remaining in this world were not for herself, it was to try and keep those around her safe from dangers. To loose both Beth and Glenn... It would be her ultimate destruction.

"Nobody ever promised that life would be easy nor perfect, just that it would be worth it." Stefan said, rubbing Maggie's shoulder comfortingly. She shook her head when she looked at him, tears now streaming down her face.

"No, Stefan. You don't understand." She said, looking back to Glenn. "If he doesn't survive, neither will I. There will come a time in the future that I won't be able to fend for myself."

"What-." Stefan tried to question, but he was cut off by her distressed face.

"I'm pregnant, Stefan. I have been for a month. If he doesn't make it, neither will I, and neither will this baby." She said, sobbing. Her head dropped to the matress, and they were left in a stiff silence.

- - - 

When Daryl woke up again, Presley was gone. He was amazed that she'd been able to escape without arousing him, but he'd learned not to underestimate her, as she surprised him every day. Her scent still lingered on the sheets.

He was dressed within a few minutes, coming out of the bedroom while smoothing back his hair. The house was oddly quiet, almost too quiet for his liking. He went out to check on Glenn and Maggie, only to find the two of them alone. Slowly he began to worry, but managed not to panic. However, knowing that Stefan and Presley could very well be together worried him greatly.

After the night they had just shared, Daryl was going to be even more protective of her. The fact that she had just left both angered and worried him, and he was prepared to give her the wrath of a lifetime if she didn't show up within the next few minutes.

Sure enough, when he stepped outside, he could spot Presley, bow raised, in the middle of the street. Zeva stood at her side, and Stefan stood on the other side of the street, watching her with those damned cow eyes Daryl had grown to hate. He marched over to Presley, watching as she released an arrow before pulling another from her quiver. A small, wooden target stood in the center of the road, three arrows already sticking out of it. 

"Presley!" Daryl said as he approached her. She jumped and then stilled, the arrow still flying into the box. She turned towards him, blue eyes curious towards his attitude. 

"What's up, Dare?" She asked, turning back to the target. The edge in her voice was casual, as if nothing had ever happened... It stung his chest.

"Ye left." Daryl accused, softly. The pain, which was evident, caused her to pause and glance at him, before striding over to retrieve her arrows.

"Not really. I just came outside for some fresh air." She replied defensivly. "You could have seen me if you'd looked out the window."

"That's not what I mean." He said, grabbing her arm and forcing her to look at him. He searched her eyes, only to find that they were the same as before. He recoiled, as if he had just been burned, staring down at her with shock and pain evident in his features. "I... Nevermind. Gonna go an' find some food. Stay close." He turned and left, knowing quite well that they had enough food.

And she simply watched him.