Chapter 3

A/N: Hey! Thank you guys so much for all of the positive feedback! Sorry this took so long to get out. I was on vacation with my family, so I didn't have any time to write. Hopefully this chapter was worth the wait :) Thanks for understanding.

Trigger warnings for this chapter: Panic attacks

The closet door creaked open to reveal a very broken Virgil. His legs were drawn tightly to his chest, gripping them so tight it didn't look like he had any room to breathe. His whole body was trembling as if he was freezing to death. However, it was the look on his face that scared the other three the most.
His jaw was clenched so tight that any harder would've probably broken his teeth. His nose was red, and tears streaked down his face. His hair was disheveled, and his eyeshadow ran down his cheeks. Then there was his eyes. His eyes were wide, but glassy and unseeing. It was like he was staring straight through the other three sides.
"Kiddo?" Patton reached out worriedly for Virgil's hand, only to have it be stopped by Logan.
"Patton, I believe any form of physical contact would be unwise. He may be experiencing sensory overload," Logan explained. "We need to try and calm him down." Logan knelt down in front of the anxious trait, looking straight into his eyes.
"Virgil," Logan started, "can you hear me?"
No response. Not even a single indication that the panicked trait had heard a single word being said.
"What's wrong with him?" Patton pleaded, tears pouring down his face. "I mean, we've seen him have panic attacks before, but it's never been like this!"
Roman was in shock. He kept thinking back to how this was all his fault. He was supposed to be the dashing prince, able to save anyone in distress. But here he was, completely lost in how to help one of the people he cares deeply about. He was snapped out of his thoughts when he felt someone shake him by the shoulders.
"Roman!" Logan demanded.
"What?" was all he could manage. He hadn't even realized it, but he could feel himself hyperventilating. His heart was racing, and his hands wouldn't stop fidgeting.
"This room is corrupting us," the logical side explained. "We need to leave."
"But what about Virgil!" Patton exclaimed. Roman looked over and surely enough dark eyeshadow laid heavily underneath the father figure's eyes.
"We cannot assist Virgil if we ourselves succumb to a panic attack," Logan stated.
The three looked at Virgil one last time to notice he somehow looked even more panic stricken than before. Reluctantly, the sides left the room, leaving Virgil alone.
Roman felt the anxiety drain from his being. He only wished his guilt would do the same.