Chapter 8

Roman hit the floor of the commons with a rather hard thud. He heard Logan and Patton groan in minor pain, all laying rather uncomfortably on the floor. However, a voice made all three of them bolt up immediately.
   "Wha..?" Virgil slurred. The three surrounded the anxious trait laying down, blinking away confusion and tiredness. Once he seemed to gain awareness, Virgil became conscious of the many eyes directly above him.
   "Umm, hi?" he awkwardly questioned.
   "Virgil!" the three exclaimed, tackling their friend with hugs.
   "Woah, woah! Ok-um-hey."
   "We're so glad you're alright, kiddo!"
   "Alright? Why wouldn't I be alright?" The question stunned the other sides, who slowly withdrew their group hug.
   Roman met Virgil's puzzled eyes. "You don't remember?"
   Virgil worriedly shifted his gaze from one to the other, trying to read their expressions. "Remember what? Did something happen?"
   "We'll get to that," Logan intervened. "First, what's the last thing that you can recall before waking up here?"
   "Well," Virgil began, eyebrows furrowing in concentration, "the Dragon Witch. She, uh, she was hurting Roman! Wait are you ok?" Virgil suddenly asked, his breathing picking up speed.
   "I'm fine, Jack Smellington," he quickly reassured, using a nickname just to show that he was feeling well and like himself. "I promise. I'm fine. Keep going."
   Virgil gave him one last concerned look before exhaling a sigh of relief. "Okay, I grabbed the sword, and I somehow managed to hit her with it. Then, sh-she told me something, and then there was this, uh, this light, and then-" Virgil paused, deep in concentration. His expression slowly changed into one of realization.
   "And then?" Patton asked, voice barely holding back his worry. 
   "I was dying," Virgil fearfully whispered, so quiet that the others could barely hear it. But they did, the looks on their faces said it so.
   Roman felt a spike of guilt pierce his heart like a dagger. If only he'd helped the Dragon Witch, if only he was a real knight. A real hero.
   He buried his own feelings, knowing that right now Virgil needed them. Needed him.
  Slowly, Roman reached and gently grasped Virgil's shaking hand; then, he maneuvered it onto the anxious side's chest, right where his heart is, and held it there.
   "You're not. You're here with us. You're safe."
   Virgil's now watering eyes met Roman's compassionate ones, both gazes speaking a thousand words.
   "You're safe, Virge. And we promise to keep it that way," Roman smiled.
   Suddenly, Virgil launched himself at Roman, arms wrapping around him tightly. The side buried his face in the other's chest, and Roman could feel his shirt becoming damp. Coming over his shock, Roman returned the embrace, holding him as if the simple gesture could make up for everything he put his friend through.
   "You're safe, V. You're okay."
    But am I? Roman thought.