Chapter 7

Elaine went out with Jack every Saturday. In spite of their disagreement on their first date, they enjoyed going to galleries as well as other cultural events. Jack always had his arm around Elaine as they walked. They walked in sync with each other. It felt very natural and yet intimate. Jack did most of the talking. He had a deep, resonant voice that seemed to course through Elaine. It didn't matter what he talked about, Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich, theories of economics, the principles of finance. Elaine just liked their closeness and how it felt to hear him speak.

On this Saturday Elaine went with Jack to The Museum of Modern Art. Usually they went to galleries or student concerts or dress rehearsals for plays, but that week they went to the museum, which had free admission for students. It was the first time Elaine noticed that most of the places Jack took her were for free. Jack impressed Elaine with cultural events. He didn't seem strapped for cash and always wore new looking clothes that were well pressed. Elaine didn't think Jack ironed them himself. He had expensive looking shoes, also, which were always well polished. Jack did take Elaine out to eat, usually in inexpensive diners. He was very romantic, always appreciative of Elaine's company, and sometimes bought Elaine a single long stem red rose. The fact that he wasn't spending much money underscored the romance of their dates.

Elaine told Jack about tutoring Emily while Elaine and Jack were sitting in a diner booth.

Jack put down his menu and said, "Why do you want to do that?"

Elaine put down her menu as well and said, "I want to give something to another person, to be a good member of society."

"What a waste of time! You should read The Virtue of Selfishness, by Ayn Rand. We do our best for society when we act out of self interest."

Elaine was surprised. "I'm familiar with Adam Smith's Invisible Hand, but doing something for someone else gives my life meaning."

"Doing something for someone else takes away their independence."

"She's a child. She can't be independent. Her class is too large for her teacher to give her any attention, and her parents work long hours. She's happy to see me, and an education can make all the difference in her life's opportunities."

The waitress came. Elaine ordered a BLT and a soda. Jack ordered a cheeseburger deluxe and a chocolate milkshake.

"You should be thinking about what you want to do with your own life. I'll lend you that Ayn Rand book, The Virtue of Selfishness. It may surprise you. Selfishness doesn't mean not having values."

Elaine couldn't see how one could have values and still only act out of self interest. "Well, I was always taught to be altruistic. I come from a family that lives very well. I have the best education available and I want to give back to society. Not to do anything for others is wrong."

"My family is well to do also. What underprivileged children need is a prosperity mindset. They have to set goals and then find ways to reach them on their own."

The waitress came back with the soda and chocolate shake.

"They're referred to as underprivileged because they don't have the means to reach their goals themselves. They don't have the education, and they are marginalized because of race. It is only recently that it became illegal to exclude them for race. Just wanting something and believing in it won't bring results by itself."

"I'm against racism. Ayn Rand has a chapter against racism in the book I'm recommending."

"Well, to have equal opportunity, people need an equal education. I've always loved reading and learning, and I want to share that love with the girl I'm tutoring. She's failing now, but if I help her, she will have a chance to succeed. It's doing something positive for civil rights."

"That just sounds patronizing to me."

The food arrived, and they ate in silence. Neither of them understood the other's point of view. Jack accompanied Elaine back to the Barnard campus. They didn't say anything to each other, but he still kept his arm around her. Despite their differences, Elaine felt like they belonged together. The arm around her shoulders made her feel that way.

The next day, Jack left a copy of The Virtue of Selfishness for Elaine and a note attached that said, "You mean a lot to me. I don't want this to come between us without you understanding this point of view. I hope to see you again next Saturday."