Chapter 20

Elaine did go to her class that day, but the demonstration didn't end that afternoon. Although many of the Barnard students were back on campus, everybody was talking about what was going on at the Columbia campus.

Jack called Elaine that night on the pay phone on her floor of the dorm.

"I'm glad you're not part of the take-over by SDS."

"Thank you for your concern, but I can't talk right now. I have to study."

"Let's get together on Saturday."

"No. I don't think so."

"You can't study all the time."

"I'm sorry, but I think it would be better if we didn't see each other any more. We have completely conflicting values."

"We have some different points of view, but I think we make a good couple."

"I feel that if we continue to see each other, you will stifle me. I have my own interests and point of view, and they are at odds with yours."

"That's just crazy! How would I stifle you?"

"By belittling what I have to say, like you did just now. Good-bye, Jack."

Elaine hung up.

Another phone call came in for Elaine. She got irritated, thinking Jack should respect her wishes, but it turned out to be her mother.

"I saw on the national news that a Columbia University building had been taken over by student protesters. I know you were part of political group and got worried."

"I'm fine. I went to the protest, but left for my dorm room when I heard that the dean and chief security officer were taken hostage. The crowd scared me."

"Oh, there were hostages? I didn't hear that part. That must have been scary."

"I made it to my class in the afternoon. There was a nationwide student strike, so there weren't many students there."

"Well, stay away from the Columbia campus until it is all over, and if there is any trouble on Barnard's campus, you can come home."

"Thank you, Mom. I know you are always there for me. I don't think it will spill out to Barnard."

The next day, Benjamin called Elaine.

Benjamin asked, "How are things with you?"

Elaine said, "I'm fine. I've been focused on my studies, but there are a lot of rumors about the Columbia campus. I'm not sure if even the network news programs have their information straight."

"Well, SAS has split with SDS. SAS Wants to bring attention only to the racial issues. Members of the Harlem community have joined SAS. They bounced the counter-protesters out of the Hamilton building and released the hostages."

"So SDS is out of the picture?"

"No, SDS has taken over another part of the Hamilton building."

"Have you been there?"

"I'm staying away from the occupied buildings, but I get a lot of information from other students and faculty. I'll call you tomorrow night and keep you updated."

Benjamin called every night to check in with Elaine. During the next few days, the President's office in the Low building was occupied by SDS, as well as three more buildings.

Elaine talked about the demonstration with other students at Barnard. Like Elaine, the students not participating in the demonstration largely supported the goals of the protests, but not the tactics used by SDS and SAS.

After a few days of the occupation,Betsy came into the dorm room upset.

"The counter protesters formed a 'Majority Coalition.' Students against the takeover of campus buildings surrounding the Low building, allowing people to exit, but not to enter."

"Oh, so they cut off the provisions to the protesters?"

"Yeah, my boyfriend is in the Low building, so I can't see him anymore, never mind bring them food or anything."

"Are those people for the war and the segregated gym?"

"I don't think they've taken a stance on any of the issues, but they are reactionary all the same."

Benjamin called Elaine every evening. Three days after the blockade began, Benjamin said, "There was a violent confrontation between the protesters and the Majority Coalition. The Majority Coalition prevailed, but faculty members convinced them to end the blockade so action could be taken by authorities to end the protest."

Elaine asked, "How did the confrontation start?"

Benjamin said, "I'm not sure which side started it, but it didn't sound good."

Elaine was just glad that she and Benjamin were not participating in the demonstration, and that Betsy hadn't been part of the confrontation.

The next day, the NYPD arrived. Elaine heard about it from other students on the Barnard campus. SAS and black community members who joined SAS were cleared out of Hamilton Hall peacefully as lawyers arrived for them and fear that violence to the blacks would lead to Harlem riots and destruction of university property.

Rumors about what was happening on the Columbia campus, but Elaine thought her most reliable source was Benjamin.

That night he called and told her, "The takeover of the campus buildings ended when the remaining protesters were cleared out by police using tear gas and force, causing injuries. Did you hear about it on the news?"

"I'm not paying attention to the news. It's the same things over and over, and I don't think they have the facts. I spend my time going to classes and studying.

"Well some of what I heard was on the television news in the common area of the dorm. Over 700 demonstrators were arrested. Only some of the people occupying the buildings were students or faculty of the university. The demonstration has come to the attention to a lot of other activists throughout the country."

The next day, Elaine heard that students using sticks fought against the police.