Chapter Nine: Capucine Brodeur

"What's the matter with you?" Ciel inquired as Sebastian helped him get ready to go to the ballet.  "You are more pensive than usual, I can sense it."

    "You are correct; obviously your senses have improved greatly since your transformation." Sebastian confirmed.  "Matilda made a rather intriguing comment after the briefing, you see, and as a result I have a thought about the group going to the ballet."

    Ciel scowled.  "Well, out with it then!  Why do you make me drag out my questions?"

    "Matilda said that she knows the prima ballerina of the troupe," the butler stated.  "At least, she thinks she does.  It is my belief, young master, that it would be of the utmost benefit to you and to the solving of this case if you were to include Matilda in the outing to the ballet." 

    The young earl scoffed.  "I would never dream of allowing a household servant to come along on an outing of nobles.  You, Agni, and Paula are the odd exceptions." 

    Sebastian finished tying Ciel's bowtie and stood upright, delivering a flat retort.  "I'm afraid this is folly, my lord." 

    Ciel whipped his head around.  "What?" he growled at his butler, glowering. 

    "Matilda could be the pivotal point for this case," Sebastian continued, straightening his gloved on each hand.  "She could expedite the solution by days, even weeks, if you take her with you and she recognizes this Bryony Redruth.  Her presence in this case may even eliminate the need to consult Undertaker; you never know.  To refuse to allow such an asset to accompany you and the others to the ballet merely due to the station she holds as a servant is folly." 

    "This is new for you," Ciel remarked.  "Speaking so directly to your master.  I suppose the more my senses improve, the less self-control and decorum you have.  In other words: the more I adjust to being a demon, the more human you become." he sighed in defeat.  "Fine, I suppose you are right.  Matilda will come with the rest of us to the ballet.  Perhaps that explains the extra ticket the queen included with the letter."  The earl began to pace back and forth across the room once more.  "It won't do to have her coming along as the maid, though, even with some of the other servants accompanying their masters.  She has no particular master or mistress as it is not her station.  We must think of a new identity for her to assume; a disguise." 

    "I believe I am the best person for that job!" An exaggerated voice sounded from the hallway, and all of a sudden the door flew open to reveal a flamboyant and blood-red reaper striking a pose. 

    "What the - Grell?!" Ciel stumbled backwards in shock.  Sebastian immediately inserted himself between the earl and the shinigami, realizing as he did so that he no longer needed to protect his master so fiercely. 

    Grell clapped her hands to her face and squealed.  "Oh, Bassy!  Did you miss me?"

    "Miss you?" the butler replied in a labored voice.  "Why, I haven't even aimed at you yet." 

    Grell waved a hand at the butler, as if shooing his retort away.  "Oh, you," she giggled, but then straightened up and tried to don a serious demeanor.  "In this case, however, I am not here for you.  Adrien asked me to keep an eye on his wife since he has some corpses to take care of, and now that she is going to the ballet with you it seems you need my skills to create the perfect disguise for her."  She marched over to the wall where a tasseled rope hung, tugging on it to summon Matilda to the earl's bedchamber. 

    Ciel peered at the reaper from behind Sebastian.  "Adrien?  His wife?" 

    "Undertaker, silly boy!" Grell put her hands on her hips and bent down to the earl's level.  "Don't tell me all this time you never learned his name!"