Chapter Fifteen: Lady Elizabeth's Motive

Paula was busy caring for her nephew, so after the discussion in the parlor had dispersed Lady Elizabeth sat in her bedroom to wait until her maid could return to help her prepare for sleep.  Her proposal in the parlor had given her such a rush, she was sure she wouldn't be able to sleep for hours.  How exciting to finally be part of an investigation, to finally be useful!  Even if she wasn't going to be using any of the skills she had been honing for years, she would finally get to help Ciel.  That was all she ever really wanted.

    A gentle knock at her door brought her out of her reverie.  Thinking it was Paula, she bid the visitor enter, only to find a nervous Bengali prince in her doorway. 

    "Lady Elizabeth," he began, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.   "I... I apologize for coming here at this hour... but after the conversation downstairs..."

    Elizabeth smiled sweetly and motioned for Prince Soma to come further into the room.  "I half expected you to have something to say about it." 

    The prince wrung his hands, searching for the right words.  "I would never presume to tell you what you can and cannot do, Lady Elizabeth," he said.  "I learned the hard way that insisting my loved ones never endanger themselves never works.  But I have to wonder if you have truly thought this through?" 

    Elizabeth looked at him questioningly.  "I'm the only one who can do the job well," she explained.  "Besides, I've never had the chance to do anything besides be a beautiful fiancée.  I want to do more to help Ciel, to protect him." she paused, debating, then clasped Prince Soma's hands in her own.  "You mustn't say a word of this, but I think something terrible has happened to Ciel at the hands of the Viscount.  I'm not sure what it is, and I don't dare ask Ciel, but I'm sure of it.  Just watch Ciel next time we are anywhere near Viscount Druitt; his body goes rigid, he starts sweating, he grits his teeth, sometimes his face even turns blue.  I may not know what happened, but I can do my best to keep anything like it from happening again." 

    At hearing this, Prince Soma's heart swelled.  He was not in love with Elizabeth, that was certain, but in this moment he was very proud to be betrothed to her.  He squeezed her hands.  "I will do all I can to help you in this endeavor, Lady Elizabeth," he vowed.  "We must protect, help, and support Ciel."

    Elizabeth beamed.  "Just call me Lizzy," she said. 

    The prince returned her smile.  "I must do what little I can to be of service and protection," he began.  "As such, may I dance with you at this Viscount's ball, Lizzy?" 

    "Of course you may, Prince Soma!" Elizabeth's smile grew larger.  "And may I call you Soma instead?  It's such a mouthful to say Prince Soma all the time." 

    It was now the prince's turn to grin.  "Absolutely!"

    Before their conversation could continue, they noticed Paula and Agni arriving in the doorway.  It was several seconds before either Elizabeth or Prince Soma noticed that Agni's turban was missing, and they shot each other knowing, smirking glances. 

    The maid and the khansama seemed to realize what the two were thinking.  They instantly turned very red, and Agni hastily tried to explain how he used his turban to make a temporary bed for Ephraim. 

    "I have decided on naming the boy Ephraim," Paula meekly added at the end of Agni's stuttering tale.  "I thought it would be nice." 

    Elizabeth put a hand to her cheek.  "Oh, Paula, it's a lovely name!" she exclaimed.  "Perhaps, when possible, I can bequeath him some of my old toys from when I was a baby?  If they are still lying around the Midford manor, that is...."

    Paula felt as if she would melt.  "Oh, Lady Elizabeth," she cried.  "You are a beacon of compassion!" she fell dramatically at Elizabeth's feet, clutching her skirts in her gratitude. 

    Agni and Prince Soma, moved by this scene, embraced one another and wept, praising the bond between the lady and her maid as well as the material union that allowed this to pass.  Elizabeth shook her head at Paula's ridiculousness, pulling her up, but smiled nonetheless.  In spite of herself, she began to chuckle. 

    "Look at us," she said.  "We are a funny little set.  But I think we are going to enjoy our lives together.  We are each growing, I can feel it." 

    Prince Soma looked at Elizabeth with eyes larger than usual and moved towards her.  When he reached her, he took her hand and bowed stiffly.  He looked uncommonly silly doing so, but Elizabeth appreciated the effort in gesture.  "I am honored to know you, Lizzy," he said, awkwardly but genuinely, and kissed her hand. 

    Now it was Agni and Paula's turn to cast knowing glances at one another.  Before the situation could continue, Agni spoke up. 

    "My prince," he said gently.  "It is time you went to bed.  You still have your studies in the morning, and very soon there will be an investigation in the way." 

    Elizabeth suddenly realized how tired she was.  Fighting back a yawn, she wished Agni and Prince Soma a good night.  They returned this, and all four were smiling sleepily at one another.  When the Indian men had shut the door behind them and Paula began to help Elizabeth prepare for bed, she yawned and tiredly remarked; "I enjoy hearing their accents.  They're very interesting." 

    Paula agreed, pulling Elizabeth's nightdress over her head.  "They are both very kind men, as well," she added, brushing her lady's hair.  "The prince may be a more energetic than the average man, but personally I think his positivity suits you." 

    Elizabeth found that she could not reply to this.  "Hmm," was all she said, slipping beneath the sheets and laying her head on the pillow. 

    Paula wished her goodnight and left the room, taking the only candle with her. Lady Elizabeth found that, surrounded by darkness and softness, all she could think of was Ciel.