Chapter Sixteen: Florentia and Theodosia

The next week was spent in preparation for investigating the Viscount Druitt.  When Ciel received the invitation to the Viscount's ball, he was shocked to find that the man had apparently decided to completely abandon all decorum. 

"September and the beginning of autumn is nearly upon us, the season of plenty," Ciel read the invitation aloud at the breakfast table.  "In the spirit of bounty, I am opening this masked ball to the lower classes as well as the nobility.  Even servants are welcome."  The earl tossed the letter onto the table and sipped his tea.  "Well.  I expect that means Matilda still has a chance to be the bait, then." 

Elizabeth struggled to refrain from rolling her eyes.  "My previous logic still stands, Ciel," she said firmly.  "I am in the best position to do this job.  Let's have no more arguing about it, if you please." 

The earl was shocked at seeing Elizabeth's assertiveness in this way.  His cousin rarely had any qualms about voicing her opinion, but he couldn't remember a time when those opinions had been about anything other than clothing.  Had he been ignoring Lizzy's intellect all these years?  Or had she been hiding it? 

While Ciel may have been stunned into silence, none of the others at the breakfast table had the same problem. 

"It seems Lady Elizabeth is finally coming into her own, Ran Mao," Lau remarked, breaking his scone in two.  "This will be very interesting indeed." 

Ran Mao, in a rare turn of events, responded.  "She is secretly tough.  I like her." 

"Everyone underestimates Lizzy," Prince Soma said from his chair opposite Ciel.  "There is nothing wrong with being a lover of prettiness, but because she loves pretty things she is always dismissed.  I am eager to see her succeed." 

Ciel remained silent, but he felt his anger well up inside him.  Without his noticing, a billowing black shadow rose up behind him.  The others at the table saw it, and they looked on in terror before Sebastian cleverly intervened. 

"My lord," he said, placing a hand on the boy's shoulder.  Instantly the shadow dissipated.  "We must begin your lessons now.  We have a great deal to do before the ball at the end of the week.  And don't forget, you have a meeting over tea with Florentia and Theodosia Loric this afternoon." 

Ciel sighed, still angry.  "Yes, of course," was all he said, dabbing his mouth with a napkin and leaving the table.  Sebastian followed him closely, watching his master through narrow eyes. 

It appears I have much to teach him, he thought to himself. 

~

The earl's anger did not abate with the passing hours.  He, Elizabeth, and Prince Soma took their lessons together in the library now, with Sebastian and Agni presiding over them while Paula cared for Ephraim (with help from Bryony, as she was available now as well).  This proximity to each other caused a good deal of unease between all three.  Music, literature, business, diplomacy, fencing.  Ciel had never felt such relief when the time came for his meeting with the Loric sisters. 

After Matilda had persuaded Snake to hide elsewhere, she and Sebastian set a magnificent table in the greenhouse for the tea meeting.  Sebastian explained the measures they had taken as he stood by Ciel before the manor, awaiting the arrival of their guests. 

"We selected a specific set of china with many patterns but understated colors, as a nod to the sisters' signature toys," he said, noticing Matilda's pleased grin.  "In addition, we arranged a marvelous bouquet of day lilies and pink roses, with Finny's help." 

Ciel nodded in apparent approval but said nothing as the carriage bringing the Loric sisters came up the path.  When it reached the manor, the earl and the present Phantomhive servants were able to get a good look at the man driving it.  He looked rather similar to Vicar Jeremy Rathbone, who they all knew now was merely Sebastian in disguise.