Chapter Fourteen: Ephraim Abberline

Mei Rin had been caring for the Abberline baby while the others went to the ballet.  When Paula returned to the manor, she made sure Lady Elizabeth was situated in the parlor with the others before venturing downstairs to claim her godson. 

    "He was such a good baby, yes he was," Mei Rin smiled as she handed the infant over to Paula.  She took him and cradled him gently, smiling back at the Phantomhive maid.  "What happened at the theatre?  Why is everyone back so soon?" 

    Paula bounced the baby gently.  "There was an attempted murder tonight during the second half of the performance," she explained.  "Matilda knew the prima ballerina from childhood, so we brought her back with us.  You'll get to meet her soon, she's very nice."  After a moment, she started walking towards the door.  "Thank you so much for taking care of him tonight.  You must be exhausted.  I'll get out of your way so you can get some rest." 

    Mei Rin smiled and thanked Paula, removing her apron as the brunette closed the door behind her.  Paula took the few steps to her room quietly, taking care not to wake the baby.  I will have to give him a name soon, she thought to herself.  But what?  Not Fred or Edward, as much as I love my brothers; I can't bear that.  Perhaps... something biblical? 

    She was still puzzling over this, pacing carefully about her bedroom, when the baby began to cry.  None too loudly, but enough to cause Paula to worry. 

    "Oh dear," she whispered.  "What on earth is the matter?" she couldn't smell anything, so she assumed he was fine on that end of things.  Unsure what else might be wrong, she concluded that he must be hungry.  Biting her lip, she began unbuttoning the top of her dress and lifted her left breast out so as to nurse the baby. 

    Suddenly the door swung open, and Agni strode in.  "Excuse me, Paula, but I-"

    There was a moment's stunned silence for both of them as their faces burned and strangled, incoherent noises of surprise escaped their mouths.  As soon as he had regained control of himself, Agni fell prostrate on the floor before Paula, stumbling over his own tongue in his effort to apologize. 

    "Forgive me, Paula!  I am ever so sorry!  There is no excuse!  I can hardly redeem myself!" he began scooting backwards out the door, like an inchworm.  "I will give you your privacy now!  I beg your forgiveness, please have mercy on me!" 

    Paula turned her back on the door, sweat dripping off her temple.  "Wait, Agni," she called, stopping him before he had fully exited the room.  "I... I don't know much about babies.  I have no experience with them.  If you could fetch someone who does know... or, if you yourself have any knowledge of infants... someone to help me?  I'm not sure what I'm doing, or if I'm doing it right...." 

    Agni recovered himself, staring at Paula's back with a burning face.  "I know nothing of nursing children," he admitted.  "I'm afraid I will only be of use after the child is weaned." he placed his thumb and forefinger on his chin and thought.  "But in this household... perhaps Matilda knows something of this nature.  Even if she has never nursed children herself, I expect she has seen her family nursing their children.  If I recall, she comes from a large family." 

    With that, Agni backed out of the room, pulling the door to the frame but not closing it all the way.  Paula let out a stealthy breath, wary of the baby's cries growing slightly louder.  She felt the blood in her face from embarrassment... and... what was that?  Thrill?  Why on earth would being intruded upon in this way give her a thrill?  Certainly if any average churl had burst in upon her in such a state, she would be furious and humiliated.  But Agni... not only was his apology sincere, but she found that she might not mind him seeing her... the rest of her.