Chapter 22: The Woman in Red

When I was kid, I remembered playing alone on a playground. I had no one. Everyone just kept staying away from me. I knew that I haven't done anything wrong. I knew I didn't do anything. But, somehow, everyone just stays away from me.

"That's her," I could hear them whisper. "That's the rumoured one from that family...." or something like: "That's that family's accursed curse," or maybe something creative like: "I heard that the Whites will sacrifice that girl for their nasty rituals..."

And everytime, I would hear them answer those same two words:

"Poor girl..."

But I didn't care though. Honestly, I don't. I've given up everything I could ever hope to have. I've given up on the world. I didn't want anyone to save me. I was okay being broken. I was beyond repair. I didn't want to be fixed. I didn't want to hear anymore. I didn't want to feel anymore. All these whispers... I could hear them when the night wraps around me. I could hear them all around. I wanted to break. I wanted to die. I wanted to stop existing.

I just wanted to disappear.

But I didn't. I was scared. I was a coward. Inside me, there was always this hope. This little hope that someone would save me. That someone would stretch their hands out and help me stand. That someone would smile at me as if he was staring at myself, not at who I live with.

Deep down, I was still a child.

And then one day, while I was playing by myself on the same lone playground, someone stretched out their hand. Someone let me believe again. Someone made me change. Someone fueled my hope.

Someone was there.

He saved me. He was there. He heard me. He saw me. He made me see the way the world is. He made me think. He made me listen. He made me feel.

It was the happiest day of my life, because it was the day that I felt human. I felt strong even if there were ones who tried to kick me back down again. He was there to pick me up again. I didn't think that I would ever feel anything that would make me regret my decision of ever trying to live again.

But now, as I panted heavily, chained to a wall as my body hurt badly.... I'm really not that sure anymore....

====

"I don't think she really does know, Beast," I heard Joker ask their leader. "It's been weeks now and she's still not breaking...."

It was the third break of their torture for today. I was breathing hard. I don't think I could ever take another session of hell any longer. They kept asking me where was 'it' and, as usual, I kept saying that I didn't know, which was of course true but they still won't believe me. My body was hurting really badly. I could feel blood dripping down all over me.

I really think I'm going to die now.

I don't know how long I was here. All I know was that it was really a long time now. Maybe a month? A year? A millennium? Nah... Who cares? I laughed inwardly. I know I don't care anymore. It's been a long time now. I don't think they're looking for me anymore. I wonder how everyone's doing? I wonder if they're all happy?

'Of course they are,' I thought to myself. 'They're happy I'm gone now, those little bastards...'

Sting, Beast, Break, Joker and the unknown guy---they're all right. Everyone I have back home is not looking for me anymore. They're probably glad that I'm gone now. The freak is gone now. The annoying being was gone. Dead. Nothing. Gone.

Hahahaha!

Isn't that an annoying thought? Everyone thinks I'm gone.... I'm gone. I'm gone. I don't care. I'M GONE!

Haha!

I'm absolutely a mess! I'm crazy! HAHAHA! I'M CRAZY! HAHAHA! I'M DEAD! I'M GONE! I'M WEIRD! HAHAHA! I'M STRANGE! I'M AN ABSOLUTE DEMON! HAHAHA! WHO CARES IF I'M DEAD?! NO ONE! NO ONE AT ALL!

HAHAHA!

I laughed in my head as every thought and nothing rang through my mind. I'm dead. I'm gone. Everyone is happy now. I'm gone. I'm dead. I'm nothing. I don't care anymore. I'm weird. I'm a demon. I'm bad. I'm a human being.

And I'm so fucking broken it's not funny anymore.

====

"...yame... Ayame..." a somewhat echoing voice called.

I opened my eyes slowly, the action making me more tired than I could ever be if I ran a 10k marathon without rest. What I saw was even weirder. It wasn't the same blackness I've gotten so used to. It wasn't empty. It was just pure whiteness. I didn't feel any kind of fabric scratching against my skin, or restraints cold against my wrists. In fact, I felt... free.

If this was what heaven felt like, then I'd gladly accept it.

"Ayame..." the echoing voice called again. Listening more clearly, I could hear that it was a woman's voice. It was very soothing, but also somewhat familiar...

"W-Who are y-y-you?" I asked, my voice trembling and croaky. It's been so long since I've spoken normally. Since I've been free from those wretched chains that had bounded me; since I've had peace and quiet instead of the same mocking laughter and insane-filled shouts.

In the distance, I could see a splash of red---a stark contrast in the white background. I squinted my eyes to see a better look. It looked to be a woman with chocolate-brown hair wearing a red dress. She was looking at me with... sadness? She was really familiar...

"H-Hello?" I called to her. She was still a few distance away for me to truly see her. But I know that when I do, she'd be really beautiful.

"Ayame..." she still called.

Being the overly impatient person I was, I tried standing up to walk towards her. It proved to be really difficult though, just like when I opened my eyes. My body felt like a heavy rock. It felt like I haven't used my legs since ever, which was more-than-true seeing as I've been chained to a freaking wall for the past... days? months? years?

"Ayame..." She was getting closer now. I could see her more clearly. I was right---she was very beautiful. Like an angel...

Oh, man, am I really in heaven?

A few more feet away, and I knew something was amiss. This woman was very familiar. I have seen her before in my life. Her presence, her smile, her hair---everything about her was familiar. I knew I know her.

But the next word that left my mouth was something that I didn't know I would utter in this life. It was both a question for reassurance and for fear.

"Mom?" I trembled.

The woman smiled.

======

DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!!! Yes, bitches, I have finally uploaded! XD I didn't think I could ever do. I had trouble finishing this one since it was full of feelings, not a lot of action, and Batman knows I am an absolute amateur at descriptions.... =_________="

Anywhores! Comment what you think! I'd really like to know what you think about my writing. Should I put in a lot more feelings? Or is this one enough? Have I conveyed Ayame's thinking clearly? Or do you think I should elaborate more? Thanks for the time!

Oh, yeah! Vote if you liked! ^ ^