Wattpad Original

Original Edition: Chapter Four

THE FOX PERFORMING ARTS CENTRE FOUND ITSELF EMPTY ON MOST DAYS, APART FROM THE DANCE ACADEMY THAT SHAMELESSLY SPENT ALMOST EVERY WAKING HOUR THERE. But on this particular day, the Riverside Community Choir was also there. When Naomi and Jessica stepped inside the building fifteen minutes late, the choir had taken up the entirety of the main stage. Their harmonies rose and wrapped, carrying in the air like silk. Naomi's lips parted in awe and a chill went down her spine.

But as much as she wanted to, Naomi couldn't stay and watch. Jessica reminded her of that much. Today she needed to stay focused. They quickly went around the back and into the female dressing room where dozens of bodies had already gathered. They brushed their way in, rumours about Mr Carson's ruthlessness on the tips of everyone's tongues. Naomi could not blame them.

Mr Carson's summer programme was infamous. It was the most rigorous yet rewarding thing a young dancer in Riverside ever could do. In the span of two months, he instructs his class like a company and treats everyone like a principal dancer. Then, he sends off his best to compete in the National Prix de Ballet, a ballet competition practically bursting with opportunities to become the real deal. All at half the price of his usual classes. So naturally, every aspiring dancer within a ten-mile radius came to try their luck.

Naomi quickly got changed with the other girls, idle gossip floating over her head as she did, then, diligently wrapped her toes with masking tape before slipping them into her pointe shoes and tying up her long, permed hair. Naomi Morgan took a deep breath and tried not to think about NYC as she left the dressing room with a clutter of dancers and entered the dance studio.

Even though there were less than fifteen people inside, Mr Carson was already speaking. "Of course, if you've been to Prix, you already know all that," he was saying, "However, this year, the game has changed exponentially. Prix de Ballet, for the first time ever, will be held here in Riverside." Cheers erupted immediately, but Naomi realized the look on Mr Carson's face all too soon. "And as a result, this summer, we'll be working nine-hour days instead of seven and auditions will cut about thirty of you instead of ten." A whirl of worried looks swept the room. Naomi slowly watched as dancers stiffened and the crowds that were scurrying inside looked around worriedly. "We have to be perfect." No one said anything.

"But on the bright side, as you all should know, where there's an esteemed dance competition, there are top companies. Including the New York City Ballet Company." The studio exploded into whispers and out of it, Naomi perked up. NYC. This was her dream.

A voice said, "Our dream." Out of the corner of her eye, Naomi spotted Jessica. Standing next to her and smiling. "And don't worry, you're going to do amazing, Naomi."

Naomi fought back a terribly large smile. "Thank you for being here with me. I don't know what I'd do without you." A few dancers turned to see who Naomi was speaking to but saw no one.

"Of course," Jessica said. "I could never leave you."

Mr Carson continued as crowds of people began entering in droves. "So not only is this our chance to disgrace other academies, but you can also impress your favourite companies while you're at it. Two birds, one stone." The room still hadn't quite stopped buzzing since Mr Carson said NYC was coming to Riverside. "However, unfortunately, most of our funds are still being used to renovate our space, so we can only afford to do one solo, two pas de duex, one large group ensemble and one small group ensemble. Oh, and auditions will have to start now."

Time stopped. What?

"The Riverside Dance Academy has something to prove this year," Mr Carson pronounced. "We can't afford to waste any time or money." Naomi watched the worry swing across the room like Newton's cradle, hitting dancers down like bowling pins. She wasn't sure where everyone else's solace came from but hers was in the feeling of Jessica's hand resting on her shoulder.