Chapter 2

'One of the happiest moments in life is when you find the courage to let go of what you can't change.'
- Unknown

————————————————————

Chapter 2:

The next morning found me away and on my skateboard halfway to the new paddock before the sun even peeked over the tree line.

My stomach growled but I wanted to avoid Vic and the best way to do that to stay out of the park until he finished his rounds.

Surprisingly, other people were awake. Owen was sitting on his motorcycle in front of the building talking to a black man. When I slowed to a stop and picked up my board, he caught sight of me and waved me over. "Alexa this is Barry. Barry, meet Alexa. She helps the trainers out here, supposedly."

My eye ticked. I knew he was teasing me, but the wolf in me didn't like jab at my character. "I do help the trainers, Mr. Grady. And given the chance, I would like to help out here too."

Barry looked nervous at letting a 14 year old deal with raptors but Owen seemed more at ease after the conversation yesterday. I guess I said something he liked.

"Are you sure she knows how to work these animals, Owen? This isn't a bunny sitting."

I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow. "Are you calling me soft?"

Owen snorted and Barry dug himself a deeper grave. "No, just wondering if you really understand what you're asking to do."

"So you're calling me stupid."

"No! No. Just.... Owen, help me out here." Unfortunately for Barry, Owen was to busy laughing to be of any use.

I shook my head and caught Barry's attention. "Listen, I may be young and still in school, but I did go through training and I do live here. I understand the danger, and I'm willing to take the risks. Don't worry." I cocked my head. "I swear I just had this convo with Mr. Grady yesterday."

Owen's laughs slowly died to snorts as he slid a bag to me. I took it cautiously and peeled inside. "Welcome to the pack, Kid." Inside was a nice warm breakfast sandwich and a water.

Barry sighed in exasperation, but had a large smile stretched across his face. "It's nice to meet you, Alexa."

My nose wrinkled up and I mentally gagged. "Call me Alex. No more of this Alexa nonsense. It makes me sick."

Owen chuckled. "Then please don't call me Mr. Grady." His smirk returned with a vengeance. "Since you are a part of the pack you can call me Alpha."

I snorted. "Not in your dreams. I'll call you Owen. But if you keep calling me Kid, I'll name you food."

Owen looked at Barry and muttered, "Teenage hormones?"

I shoved Owen off his bike and retorted, "No, your idiotic tendencies are just being pointed out."

And soon we were laughing so hard none of us could breath, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

And that's how the rest of the paddock helpers found us an hour later, as the sun finally shone as a full circle above the park.

———————————————————-

'"I understand the danger, and I'm willing to take the risks."'
- Alexa Carson