Chapter 5

"Talk."
.:Radio or Phone:.
{Raptors or animals}
Thoughts

Y'all better review cause I pulled an all nighter after two night of only two hours of sleep to write this. I'm living off coffee now. It's long tho.

Have fun. Review. And thank you all so much.

And so sorry for the wait. I was on vacation then we ran out of data when I had to spend a whole week at my mom's so I just now had a chance. Sorry.

Here I am ,
Living a dream that I can't hold,
Here I am on my own,
- Top of the World by Greek Fire

————————————————————

Chapter 5:

Time passed quickly and Ivy adored her new family. I came out every day and taught her new tricks and Owen trained the pack as a whole. By the time one month had passed the little carnivores were already up to my knee, and had the personalities to make up for the size difference.

Owen was obviously the Alpha, although he soon became nervous of remaining in the cage with the raptors and resorted to teaching from the boardwalk.

Blue was the beta, and had a mischief streak longer than Rapunzel's hair. She was stubborn, and fiery, but of the fie raptors was the closest to Owen. She loved to collect objects that fell into the pen and absolutely adored Oreos.

Then there was Delta, who had a strange obsession with shoes. Delta was trigger happy and often the first to start a fight and the last to leave.

Next was sweet, calm Charlie. Charlie was the peace keeper and took naps just after lunch every day. But of course, the second you pulled out Cheetos, she would be your new best friend.

Of course the baby was Echo, who claimed Owen as her Daddy and 'squishy'. The second she watched Nemo, she couldn't get enough of it.

My best friend was Ivy, who quickly showed herself as a smart, practical sweetheart. While she was more of a recluse around anyone other than pack, she was extremely protective of me and rather quiet.

Today was a bad day and I made sure everyone knew that, unfortunately. I hid out in the park, visiting the different attractions with a frown on my face and a glare in my eyes. Anyone who dared talk to me was snapped at, shooed away, or cursed out. I sent Owen a text this morning, simply stating that I wasn't coming in today.

I turned off my phone and set it in my bag. The sun was beginning to set and the whole park was bathed in a red light. The animals calmed down and there was an energy buzzing in the air.

My burger sat in front of me, uneaten and I let it sit there.

I was not happy because it was the anniversary of when I was taken. Of my birthday. It was the anniversary of when I lost my only chance at family.

I leaned forward in my chair and opened my mind. I always had to be careful when I did this. I could feel every emotion over the thoughts, every memory. This was dangerous and I could easily get sucked in. But I wanted so desperately to be able to control it, and not have it control me.

'I wanna see the T-rex.'

'Will momma let me go?'

'Why can't we stay longer?'

'They always treat me like a child.'

'Why is she just sitting there?'

I knew who that last one was. Owen stormed up the road looking at me through the glass.

In an effort to ditch, I dumped my food and took off on my skateboard, probably going faster than any normal human should go. I ended up on the beach just past the raptor paddock. Unknown to me, it was also near Owen's house.

My knees were pulled up to my chest and my arms were wrapped around them. My bag was up by the trees so the sand didn't get in them and the water flushed a deep crimson red in the light of the setting sun.

Fitting that the coming night could look so welcoming and the sun could set so gorgeously on such a rotten day.

A single tear ran down my cheek.

The red bathed the land and the ocean sat glassy and calm. Blood blended to blue and specks of light washed the sky. Little twinkling lightbulbs just out of reach. Each one set in place to make a map of the universe.

Here there was no people, no animals, no work, no world. The crickets were silent and no breeze disturbed the trees. The waves settled for the night, and the sun went to bed.

Dusk was so overwhelmingly breathtaking I choked. This is was so familiar it hurt.

"Alex?" I jumped at the sudden voice.

Owen rested a hand on my should and sat down next to me on the soft sand. I ignored him and kept looking over the sea. I wonder if I could go swimming out there? "Hey, you never came in today. Barry and I thought something had happened to you."

I pulled in on myself and rested my head on my arms.

"Alex you can't just run off for no reason and not let us know."

My eye twitched and I slowly lifted my head to look him dead in the eye.

"No. Reason." It sounded choked to my own ears but I didn't care.

"Yes no reason." Owen spike sharply but firm. Like he was nicely reprimanded me for staying out past my curfew. "You made Barry and I cancel all our plans today to look for you. We thought something had happened. And now you don't give an explanation."

He had to be joking. I surged to my feet and turned red in anger. "I never made either of you cancel everything- that was you! I told you wasn't going to be there! But don't you dare- for even one second!- think I don't have a reason. It is a private matter and I never asked you to but into it! How would like it if everything you know and loved and had been taken? It might make you just a little ticked, right?"

I froze as I realized what I was doing and tears welled in my eyes. In the middle of my rant of my old life I was throwing away any chance of a new one. "I'm sorry." And I grabbed my bag and took off down the beach.

My bag is was bouncing on my shoulders and my eyes were filled with tears. I didn't know where I was going and at the moment I didn't care. I just wanted away. Away from everything.

I tripped over something and curled in bracing myself for the welcome pain that never came. Instead I was wrapped into strong arms and pressed to a warm chest.

I grabbed onto the shirt like lifeline and cried my eyes out, relishing in ten calm feeling of having someone hold me and comfort me.

Because 7 years ago I had been taken from my family and experimented on. 7 years ago I lost my family. 7 years ago I watched my dad die in front of my eyes.

But now I had someone. I knew, from then on, I wouldn't be alone.

Now I just had to find some way to put all that in words to explain to Owen. I did NOT want to sound like one of those needy wanty girls.

————————————————————

'The red bathed the land and the ocean sat glassy and calm. Blood blended to blue and specks of light washed the sky. Little twinkling lightbulbs just out of reach. Each one set in place to make a map of the universe.'
-Alexa Carson