Chapter 18: Harbinger

Night fall came again and everyone was ready to go home. Cream made her way down to the main hall from the patient rooms. Tails and Mighty were going to take Cream back home. Sonic, although, was going to wait for Amy downstairs. Cream noticed Sonic sitting on a chair with his body leaned forward and his two arms resting on his legs. Mighty and Tails waited near the exit. Cream turned her heel and walked over to Sonic. She stopped right in front of him. Sonic looked up at her and blinked at her.

Cream offered a small smile. "Amy will come down soon. Please take care of her."

A smile quirked on his lips. With a quick nod of his head Cream bowed her head and turned to walk to the two boys who waited for her. Sonic watched them leave until they weren't visible to his eyes anymore. He waited a little while longer and sure enough, Amy came down alongside the wall. Sonic jumped up from his seat and strode over to her. Amy felt his presence and her hands reached out to him. Sonic's hand clasped on to each hand and lowered them. The touch of their hands meeting brought upon a spark feeling chill that went from her hands and up her arm. It took willpower for her not to blush. Still, she didn't feel the need to let his hand go. She felt comfortable.

"He is fine. He just needs to rest." Amy softy spoke.

"That's good." He said.

"He will recover quickly and be dispatched in no time." She said showing a quick smile. Sonic released one hand and used it to pull out his phone to check the time.

"Don't worry about the expensive. I got it covered." He claimed seeing it the time was coming to be nine o' clock.

"I apologize for the trouble I have cost you," She said in a low voice about to bow her head, but Sonic stopped her by holding her shoulder firmly.

"Don't, this wasn't your fault. For now leave the rest to the doctors. I gave them my number just in case anything comes up and I already paid his stay. Now, we just wait," He said beginning to walk out the door with her, hands locked together.

Sonic's kindness was confusing to Amy, but it was real. To question it would be rude. He was doing this out of the purest of his soul. Still, she couldn't help but still feel somewhat upset over last night's discussion therefore not wanting his help. It revolted her the way she was thinking, getting upset over her feelings getting rejected was not a good reason to still be upset. She understood the fact that it was part of a way of being brokenhearted, as books stated, but it shouldn't stay forever. She had to learn to move on. At least he was still with her, standing by her, as a friend.

"Thank you," Her words were genuine and sincere.

Sonic turned around and watch her eyes shimmer. Sonic cracked a smirk and pulled her arm to bring her up into his arms, bridal style. His moves were quick and didn't allow time for Amy realized that she was in his arms until moments later.

"Don't mention it. It's what friends do." Those words came out naturally to Sonic which surprised him, but in a good way where he felt proud to call her his friend. Amy laughed and wrapped her arms around his neck and they were off. That night, once they got to his house, Sonic explained to Amy about the reason to her grandfather's attack. As he explained it to her, Amy showed no emotional despairing looks. She listened carefully, but little did Sonic know that something within her switched on.

.:xXx:.

Days later at school, there was talk. Almost all the girls were talking about the blind girl and Sonic whom they've seen around together a lot lately. Suspicion and envy was rising up from most of the girls. Sally and Scourge were near the main entrance to the school. They kept hearing his name pop out from different mouths. Scourge didn't seem bothered by it but it annoyed Sally. Vector came up behind them and rolled his eyes as he plopped a piece of candy into his mouth.