Zenith | Chapter 15

Neither Taehyung nor you had noticed the police arriving and questioning people at the school until they entered your classroom during math. As soon as the door clicked shut, the many heads of the students turned around to eye whoever might have entered the classroom just then, and their eyes widened all the more seeing two officers standing at the back of the class in full armor. The one on the right was a bit more plump than his colleague next to him, standing there bolt upright with a stern look. Everything was silent, and it didn't even take a second after realizing who was standing there, that you and Taehyung looked at each other and exchanged a nervous look. The lanky officer on the left cleared his throat.

"We are sorry to interrupt the lesson, but we are here to question students who had any kind of connection to Dean Park. He was said to have had a few classes with people from this very course."

A wave of whispers swirled through the air, and people soon began to come up with theories in the shortest time possible. The discussions however, were quickly shut down by another cought from the math teacher.

"Who here was in a course with Dean or knew him? Please raise your hand." Even though there were hands being raised up here and there, your only focus was on Taehyung, who seemed to have an inner monologue with himself about whether to raise his hand or not. He knew that sooner or later, someone would mention him as an old childhood friend, and if they found out only after they had done whatever they were going to do with people that knew Dean, he would seem even more suspicious.

You, on the other hand, were trying to meet his gaze and shook your head, barely noticeable, while raising your own hand. You didn't know what was going to happen if Taehyung were to be questioned about anything regarding the case. Of course he wasn't stupid, you knew that, but you also knew that it was quite easy to get a person to talk, especially a mentally unstable one.

. . .

"Sir-I mean, officer, may I ask why the police is here?", a boy, sitting on the chair next to you, asked. They had brought you to and empty classroom and had placed a few chairs for you guys to sit on in the hallway in front of it. Taehyung was currently sitting on the one right next to the classroom and was going to be the next person to talk to the police. One officer was waiting outside and watching over the students to make sure nobody would listen to the conversations inside of the room.

"Mr. Park went missing last week.", the officer had answered, just seconds before the door next to him opened and a girl which black, shoulder-lenght hair walked out. You remember her being in the English course with you and Dean.

"Next is Kim Taehyung." Taehyung stood up and looked at you for a last time, seeing the uneasy look in your eyes, as he entered the room and the door shut close.

"Please, take a seat, Taehyung." The boy quickly nodded as he sat down and looked around the room for a brief seconds. It was rather dark, the lights weren't turned on, and due to the gloomy weather outside, it made the whole room seem even more quiet. Taehyung had noticed a small camera that was placed at the far back of the room, pointing directly into the direction of the table he was sitting on with one of the officers. It was the smaller one.

"Could you tell me a bit about Dean? The relationship between you two?" Taehyung gulped. He wasn't sure about this whole thing anymore, was asking himself if it wouldn't have been easier for him if he would've just stayed quiet. But there was no turning back now. He would just have to be a good liar, just this once.

"Uhm, well... We-we have known each other since primary school. We hung out with each other often back then, but when we became older, we just... stopped talking, I guess." Having his fingers interlaced with each other, Taehyung placed them on to the table and looked at the officer in front of him, who was now writing something down on a report card. It looked as if they were making one for every student questioned that day, guessed by the many ones laying on a stack at the end of the table.

"Is there a reason why you stopped being friends?" The man had now placed his pen back on the paper and was looking at the brown haired boy. He didn't seem suspecting at all, but Taehyung knew that every wrong move he did could change that. Or at least he felt as if it could. What was he going to tell him? He of course couldn't talk about how he had practically started to become so overprotective over his sister that he stopped her from leaving the house sometimes.

"We just didn't share the same interests anymore. He had also met a lot of new friends, and so did I. We kind of drifted apart."

His thoughts were going wild right now. What if he somehow noticed how he made longer pauses between the words than normal? What if he could hear how loudly his heart was beating? What would happen to you? Would they know that the two of you were dating? He would never be able to forgive himself if anything would ever happen to you.

The man with the slightly greasy hair started to write some things down again, humming as a response to Taehyung's answer. The whole thing continued on for a few more questions, some less interesting as others, and some letting the not noticeable sweat on Taehyung's neck start to build up again. It wasn't until the phone in the man's pocket started ringing that Taehyung had a short break to catch his breath again.

"Yes?... They what?... Where?... Yes, I'm going to bring officer Kang with me aswell. We are on our way." The policeman stood up and started stuffing the papers into a bag next to the table.

"You can leave. They found him."

Taehyung was confused. Found him? How could they have possibly found him? After all, he wasn't even alive anymore.

"May I ask where he was? Is he well?" He tried to sound as concerned as in his situation possible. The officer looked as if he was really thinking about what to say to him, but ultimately just decided to tell him what really was going on. The whole school would know anyways in a matter of only a few hours.

"In the lake next to the highway. He is dead."

Taehyung let out a quiet ' oh ', as he stood up and tried to casually walk out of the room, the officer following shortly after. The two policemen walked out of sight as quickly as they had introduced themselves, and left behind baffled students. You were looking at your boyfriend walking out of the door slowly, not being sure what was going on, but he simply ran up to you and pulled you up, looking you directly into the eyes.

"They found him, (Y/n)."