Apricity | Chapter 20

The ride had seemed to be endless, your thoughts wiped blank, nothing going on around you quite reaching you. It all didn't matter anymore to you anyways. Not the lights turning into little streaks of glimmers as the car rushed past them, not the radio that had been turned off mid-ride, because the officer had realized that the newest Dua Lipa song maybe wasn't the best thing to listen to after being pulled out of a situation like the one you had been one, and not him trying to question you. Especially not that part. It actually made you a bit angry, because his interpretation of the whole thing was that you had been kidnapped and they had just saved you. But still, you hadn't amended any of his statements. You hadn't said anything, to be exact.

Your mother had been standing outside of her house when the police car pulled up on the side of the road, her peachy dressing gown swaying from side to side because of the chilly weather. You had already been able to tell that she was crying out of the vehicle, and as soon as the officer had opened your door, the little streetlight shining directly into your eyes, you had felt yourself being wrapped in complete and utter warmth. And it was only then and there, in the arms of your mom, 2 a.m. in the morning, and in the middle of the street, that everything came crushing down on you, and you broke down crying.

He was gone. You knew he wasn't going to get out of the trial awaiting him, and you also knew that he would do everything he needed to do to not get you into any trouble. He wouldn't let you confess what had really happened. So all that was left to do for you was to cry. Let the salty liquid run down your face, soaking your mom's dressing gown, your sobs mixed up with hers, and the only feeling really pervading the hazed state of yours was her hand rubbing circles on your back.

You of course hadn't really slept the whole night. The officer had told you they were going to question you in the morning, so you could calm down first. Your mom sat down with you on the kitchen table, a cup of tea in her hand, and one standing in front of you, untouched, little clouds of steam ascending from the berry-red substance. You had kept staring down at the table, not wanting to see how puffy and red your mother's eyes were from crying. She had probably been so worried over you going missing, you couldn't even imagine how hard the whole thing must've been for her. You already felt guilty enough without looking at her.

It had been quiet for a minute or so, none of you wanting to be the one to say something, but your mom decided to speak up first.

"I love you so much. You can't imagine how worried I was. Did he hurt you? Oh god, please tell me he di-"

"Mom, I'm okay. He didn't hurt me, really. I love you too." You had looked up and had given her a small smile, assuring her that you were indeed fine, to which she responded with standing up and pulling you up into yet another hug.

"It's all over now. You don't need to worry about anything anymore." But of course, that was exactly the thing that broke you. That it was over. That Taehyung, even though he was kind of a psychopath and you knew that, was gone, and with him a part of you, somehow. And it was kind of in that moment that youhad realized, that, indeed, you were actually heartbroken. Yes, this was your first time being lovesick, and you were almost sure that it was only exacerbated by the situation it all happened in. For some reason, that little thought, that little word, lovesickness, gave you some kind of weird closure on everything going on in your mind, and for the first time in a long while, you felt okay.

And now you were here. In this big corridor, the walls decorated with marmor plates, and the floor a black and white pattern. The courtroom was right across from the wooden bench you and your mother were sitting on, and a nervous shiver seemed to go through your whole body from time to time. After almost two weeks, today would be the day you would finally see him again. The inquiry with the police you had two weeks ago had been quite plain. You had told them exactly what Taehyung had told you back in the bus, that he had kidnapped you. And when asked for the reason why you had tasered one of the policemen, you simply said that you were scared and had actually tried to taser Taehyung, and that the kiss was solely done to distract him. They of course believed you, you pulling the innocent girl card.