The Dancer

"Gillian, you're yawning!" Celia said. "They must be making you work really hard!"

Gillian glanced away to conceal the confused expression on her face. They were walking arm in arm in the rim meadows, Gillian supporting Celia, who had become tired in the one-G environment. Gillian's two marines followed a few steps behind them. Gillian was dressed, ready for Walking, in her skin tight Walk suit, except for her mask.

"I think I must be having disturbed sleep," Gillian answered.

"That's not surprising. You're under a lot of pressure."

"Not consciously, but - well, maybe you're right!"

Celia changed the subject. "I could get to like it down here, once I get used to one-G. You were right. It really is a very pleasant place!"

Gillian said, "Abel told me that it's carefully designed to appear 'natural'. This is the kind of environment where our distant ancestors evolved: grassland plains, with small forests. It makes us feel comfortable."

"Abel Yegg!" Celia said. "What's he like? What sort of person is he?"

"He's normal, Celia, like you and me. He's easy to get along with."

"But isn't his brain damaged?"

"Not in a way that you or I would notice. He just can't Walk a Starship now."

They strolled on a little longer. Celia glanced behind them, and whispered. "Do you feel odd, having those two hunks following us?"

"I've got used to it," Gillian murmured.

"Do you ever chat with them?"

"I haven't attempted it yet. Actually, I'm a bit shy. They seem so stern in their uniforms. They're quite intimidating."

Celia nodded. A few moments later, she remarked in a normal voice, "So Abel hasn't ended up like Mr Dane? I mean, away with the fairies?"

"No, he hasn't."

"He's lucky."

"I suppose so."

"Do you - you know - hang out with him?"

Gillian laughed. "No, not especially. Why?"

"I just wondered."

"Celia! You fancy him!"

"I've only seen him on the ship news, but he looks somehow - smouldering - to me."

Gillian glanced at Celia, wondering why she sometimes came across like an airhead. She knew that Celia was a serious mathematician, interested in stochastic processes. Then Gillian realised the problem. Celia was nervous with her, nervous of Gillian in her new role as a Walker: Gillian Berry, the only person on the ship who could save them all, Gillian, whose face Celia saw every day on the Ship News.

Gillian felt sad at the wall of chatter Celia sometimes seemed to be erecting between them. A few yards ahead, she saw Mr Rogers and Doctor Morris walking together, holding hands. A stab of loneliness struck her.

Celia asked, "When are you supposed to get to work?"

"Another fifteen minutes. We're walking toward the Navigation centre now."

"It must be an interesting place. I'd love to see inside it, and what happens when you Walk."

"I suppose it's possible. I'll ask if you like."

"Oh! Would you? That would be amazing! And I could sit down and rest my legs too!"

"You might even meet Abel."