Gillian's Parents

Gillian sat erect as she examined her approaching parents. "Mum, Dad! I haven't seen you out here before!"

"Haven't you, Dear?" her mother answered. "I'm sure we must have, from time to time." Her parents stopped at the side of the pool. Mrs Berry said, "This is nice!"

So far as Gillian knew, her parents had never left their small cabin. She was more than surprised to see them outside. It made her nervous. Why should they suddenly do this now? Was she imagining a glint in her mother's eye?

Her father said, "We just thought we'd have a stroll, before I go off to work."

Mrs Berry smiled at her husband. "You're on holiday, remember, Dear?"

Mr Berry looked surprised as he glanced at his wife. "Oh, yes - of course I am!" He gazed around him, his face interested. Gillian's mother winked at her.

"Where does the path lead?" her father inquired. "I must have forgotten."

"It goes right around the second wheel," Abel replied.

"The second wheel..." Mr Berry said.

"You know, Dear," his wife said, "the second wheel of this ship, the Xinglong Hao!"

Gillian glanced at Abel and saw his shocked expression. Her mother remembered where she was.

"Oh, yes - so it does!" Mr Berry said, though his face looked confused. He smiled at Gillian and Abel with an apologetic expression. "I don't understand what's happening to me these days. I think I'll forget my own name soon!"

Abel whispered to Gillian, "Should I notify Dr Morris and McWhirter?"

"I think so," Gillian whispered back.

"What are you two muttering about?" Mrs Berry inquired.

"Sorry Mum, Abel was just reminding me of something we have to prepare for tomorrow, when we're back at work with Liam, the new Walker."

"Oh! That sounds interesting! Could we come and watch, I wonder?"

"Er, we'll need to check first, Mum."

"Would you, Dear? We'd so like to see what you do."

Abel contacted McWhirter to inform him of the new development. He and Doctor Morris soon arrived to examine Mr and Ms Berry. Both men looked nervous and startled.

"Mr and Mrs Berry!" McWhirter said. "It's good to see you so active!"

McWhirter glanced at Gillian as he spoke, and nodded, almost imperceptibly. Gillian saw the shock in his eyes.

Gillian's mother replied, "It must all be due to the nurse that was so kindly organised for my husband and me. He brought an exercise machine, and that and his physio work on us seems to have done us a lot of good quite quickly. It's really woken us up!" She smiled at her daughter. "And having Gillian with us has been so wonderful!"

Mr Berry added, "We were hoping to watch our daughter while she's at work! We're very proud of her!"

"Is that satisfactory to you, Mr McWhirter?" his wife asked.

"I'll check with the Captain," McWhirter replied.

The next morning, McWhirter and Dr Morris met Abel, Liam and the Berry family at Pool Ten. Gillian had already changed into her Walk suit.

"Oh, Gillian, you look so slinky in that outfit!"

"Thanks, Mum."

Liam stepped forward, put down the little pack in which he carried his Walk suit, and introduced himself to Gillian's parents. "Hello, I'm your daughter's pupil," he added.