Celia

For a moment, the two friends gazed at each other, then Celia skipped forward and hugged Gillian. "It's so good to see you again, Gillian! I was so scared and frightened by what happened to you - I couldn't believe they'd shot you!"

They released each other and Celia stood back. "You look so well! The last time I saw you I was sure you were - were...!" Her voice trailed away.

"Dead?" Gillian suggested.

Celia nodded in silence, lowering her eyes.

 Joan Rubilio, Celia's escort, stepped forward. "We're only here for an hour or so, I'm afraid. Gillian's still under detention, officially."

The two friends turned to face the Executive Officer.

"Oh! I'd forgotten my prisoner status!" Gillian exclaimed. "Getting back to work pushed it into the background for me."

"I'm glad to hear that, Gillian," Joan said. "I've heard you've been doing good work with Liam. I haven't met him yet. What's your opinion of him?"

"He's, um, enthusiastic."

"They fight all the time," Abel said.

Joan smiled. "I wondered about that possibility. I heard all about the ballet lessons to make him more aware of his body. That was a great idea, Gillian."

"Thanks," Gillian replied, enjoying a burst of pleasure at this praise.

"Captain Xing was particularly pleased with your initiative there."

"Oh?" Gillian felt her voice become awkward. "I wondered what he might be thinking about me, after my incident. I suppose he was upset after what I did - or apparently did."

Joan nodded. "It was a terrible day. Captain Xing thought he was going to lose his ship, the worst possible thing that a Captain can experience. I'm afraid the marines didn't behave well. I suspect none of them had ever had to use their weapons before. They panicked and fired off far too many shots when they tried to disable you, Gillian."

"And that's why poor Mr Barry died," Celia said. "Hit by several knockout darts."

"What!" Gillian exclaimed, horrified. "Nobody told me there was a death!"

"I'm sorry, Gillian," Joan said. "You were having such a tough time: being detained, facing legal charges. We kept the rest of it from you."

"But how - why did he die?"

"He jumped up on the stage when they raised their guns to shoot, and got between you and the marines. They would have killed you if it wasn't for him."

"Why did he do it?"

Celia said, "He'd fallen in love with you. I saw it in his face, every time he looked at you, Gillian."

Gillian was astonished and horrified. She gazed blankly at her visitors. Then she turned to Abel. "Did you know this?"

"Of course - I was there too. I watched it all happen."

"I don't know what to say." Gillian sat down in one of the reclining seats by the pool. "I feel terrible. I, I - didn't like him much, and now he's dead, because of me?"

The Executive Officer patted her on the shoulder and sat beside her as Celia and Abel joined them.

"Gillian, you aren't responsible. The fault was the poor experience and training of the marines."

Celia said, "I'm sorry I've spoilt our reunion by blurting that out, Gillian."

"Neither of you are to blame," Joan said.