Pool Ten

Only Joan and the marine now remained in the ward with Gillian. She asked: "Joan, can I see my parents before I do these interviews?"

"Yes. The Captain's already approved it," Joan said.

"Good. They're on my mind. I'll find it difficult to cope with a lot of questions until I've spent time with them."

"That isn't a problem." Joan leant forward, about to stand up. "I have to head off for a while, Gillian."

"Just one more thing."

Joan, rising, asked, "What is it?"

"What are they saying about me? The ship, I mean - the passengers."

"Well, they're saying all sorts of things. But we put out a story that you're being treated for exhaustion, after an extremely difficult passage through the wall. The ship was having problems, and you were forced to walk for much too long. You had the added difficulty of constant acceleration from the ship's engines."

Joan gave a tight smile. "And that's all true, of course. It's natural that all kinds of rumours are spreading, but people expect to hear wild stories. And it helps that everyone expects Walkers to have problems, given our recent history with them on this ship."

"And the audience peering through the Navigation centre windows?"

"I had them closed as soon as I saw something going wrong."

"And my friend, Celia? She was there, she saw it all."

"I know. We've briefed her, of course. She's been very cooperative, holding to the official line."

"Will I be able to see her too?"

"I'm sure you will, once we've finished our investigations." Gillian noted that Joan's reply seemed swift, and she realised that it would be a while before she saw Celia again.

"Now, I must go!" Joan bent and gave Gillian a quick kiss, which gratified Gillian and made her hope that perhaps everything might even be back to normal soon. The Executive officer added, "Mr McWhirter will be back soon."

Gillian, now alone with the marine guard, gazed around the empty ward.

"I wonder what I'm going to do with myself in this place..."

"It sounds like they're going to keep you pretty busy, Miss. I wouldn't worry."

"But I'll end up back here by myself."

"No, you won't. Once the Doc's finished with you, they'll put you in a comfy little cabin, I'm not sure when, maybe today. Meanwhile, you can flick around the entertainment channels. I'm sorry that the news is all blocked for you. But you won't be left alone. I'll bring your lunch soon."

McWhirter returned as Gillian was finishing off a fruit salad, and struggling with her coffee.

"I know Joan told you that the Captain's authorised you to see your parents. That will be on an unrestricted basis, Gillian. In fact, you'll be staying with them from today. I'm going to take you to them now. What's the matter with the coffee?"

Gillian, surprised at this rush of news, stuttered, "Oh - I still have trouble drinking in one-G sometimes!" She rose from her bed, then glanced down at herself, embarrassed. "All I've got is this ward clothing."

"Here," McWhirter said. "They brought some of your things over." He wheeled a small case over to Gillian. "Dr Rogers packed it for you. We'll bring the rest over later when we get you settled somewhere more comfortable."

He pulled the partition closed and waited outside as Gillian got dressed.

Gillian struggled into slacks and a jumper, her movements still a little clumsy from the soreness of her wounds.