Chapter 3: The Detective

"Detective Caleb Patterson to the stand." the judge says

I walk up to him "Detective Patterson, I understand you are investigating the murder of Tom Connolly, is that correct?" the young detective nodded "Yes, that's correct."

"And would you please tell the court what you found at the crime scene?" 

The young detective nodded "The bullet in Tom Connolly's chest matched Agent Keen's service weapon. By the time I got to the crime scene, Agent Ressler was there. He was on the phone, telling Agent Keen she needed to turn herself in, or she would be hunted down, by him." 

I smiled and nodded "Thank you, no further questions."

Alan Shore shakes his head "No questions." the judge nodded "Your witness, Mr. Shore." Shore nodded "Thank you. I'd like to call to the stand, Agent Donald Ressler."

"Agent Ressler to the stand." 

Alan Shore approached Donald Ressler "Agent Ressler, how long has Agent Keen been your partner in this task force?" Ressler replied "More than three years now."

"And has she proved her loyalty to the task force, and to you?" Ressler nodded "Yes."

"I understand your asset only has immunity if and only if Agent Keen agrees to speak with him about the cases, correct?" Ressler nodded "Yes. Keen meets with Reddington offsite to talk about the cases."

"And her personal issues." a deep voice replied. The judge banged his gavel "Order! I will have order in this courtroom!" Shore nodded "This is Agent Keen's asset. And my surprise witness. Mr. Reddington, please, have a seat." Agent Keen turned around, her eyes wide and she mouthed 'Red?'  Red nodded and took his hat off, then sat behind Agent Keen. He smiled and whispered "Hello Lizzie." 

"Thank you, no further questions." 

I approached him "Agent Ressler, Detective Patterson said you were on the phone with Agent Keen not long after the murder of Tom Connolly. What did you say to her?"

Ressler sighed "I begged her not to run from the law. Said she had to turn herself in. I-I didn't want to hunt her down like she's a criminal, because Liz was my partner, and she's my best friend." he looked at Agent Keen, then continued  "But, I didn't know how big this whole situation was." Ressler looked at the criminal.

"Reddington, he was on the run with Liz. He was helping her clear her name." I nod "So, an infamous, elusive crime lord, was helping an agent that helped get him immunity."

"Yes. Reddington and Keen went into hiding until they were ready to take down the Cabal. From that point there, each of the cases Reddington gave us, he let me and my team take down the criminal, and he got information or possession of something crucial to the Cabal." 

I nod "Thank you, no further questions." 

The judge looked at Mr. Shore "Your next witness, Mr. Shore." He nodded "Raymond Reddington."

"Mr. Raymond Reddington to the stand." I protest "Objection your honor! This man is a fugitive of the law! Mr. Reddington is number four on the FBI's most wanted list!" 

"Overruled. Mr. Raymond Reddington to the stand." 

The crime lord in the three piece suit and black fedora smiled self contently and walked up to the stand. Alan Shore approached him "Mr. Reddington, is it true that you were helping Agent Keen clear her name?"

"Yes. I know she was framed by the Cabal, a dark shadow organization in control of government and world events, anyone that tells you this organization doesn't exist, they don't know the difference between a water buffalo and a musk ox." 

At this Alan Shore laughed, then looked at him "Why would you help Agent Keen?" The criminal smiled "Lizzie is very special to me."

The judge replied "Court adjourned. We'll continue in two days."

Everyone left, Shore held out his hand to Red "Alan Shore, I'm Agent Keen's defense attorney. I'll try everything in my power to ensure Liz gets exonerated."

Carisi looked at me "What are you thinking, Lieu?" I shake my head "It doesn't look good."