Chapter 5

Quinn's POV

Agent Fitz opens to door to the containment module.

Is this guy insane?

He walks over to me, and I start to back away.

"It's alright," he states. "I'm not going to hurt you."

I stop, and he walks closer and closer until he's right next to me. Jemma follows him. They both sit down on either side on me.

This is slightly strange.

Fitz lifts his hands slowly towards me head. I flinch.

"I promise," he says emphasizing that word promise. "I'm not going to hurt you."

I still don't quite trust him, but I hold still. Jemma clicks a button on the tablet, and Fitz gently lifts the metal contraption off my head. My head no longer feels fuzzy, and everything comes back into focus.

"Thank... you?" I say confused.

Why would he take it off?

Fitz's POV

I know this kid is scared. Part of me feels bad for her. I know Simmons and I both agreed that taking the device off her might calm her, but without it, she can use her powers. Even the containment module can't control her, and outside...

"Are you hungry?" Simmons asks Quinn.

Quinn looks down and just nods her head. She was unconscious for almost two days, so I'm not surprised. Jemma offers her her hand. She looks uncertain but eventually takes her hand.

We lead her out into the base. She looks around like she's taking it all in. Mack walks towards us, and Quinn stops. Her eyes are wide.

"This is Agent Mackenzie," Simmons explains in her soft voice. Quinn still looks nervous.

"I go by Mack, kid," Mack says extending his hand.

"... Uh huh." Quinn shakes his hand uncertainty. I can tell she's still not thrilled about this.

We walk towards Director Mace's office. When we reach the door, I can tell Quinn is now aware of what's going on. We walk into the office where the director faces us.

"Hello Valentina," Mace starts. Quinn flinches at her name.

Why doesn't she like to be called her name?

"I'm Jeffrey Mace, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D."

"Quinn," she states shaking his hand.

"I've brought you here, because we need your help. It is S.H.I.E.L.D.'s understanding that you have telepathic abilities. We also understand that this can be used as a weapon. We are currently in the middle of an operation that requires your sonic weapon."

She backs away from Mace. I can tell she has no interest in doing this. I don't hate that Mace is asking her to do this... I hate that it's a lie...