Chapter 10

Ten years ago...

"Valentina Rose Ivanov..." she says. I finally look up. "Say your name."

"Why mama?" I ask. I don't understand why exactly she's asking me to do this.

"Trust me. What is your name?"

I look around for a few moments. I begin to wonder if she's hit her head. Eventually, I give in.

"My name is Valentina Rose Ivanov."

"Yes it is," she tells me. "You carry your father's name, Ivanov. As long as you hold this name, you are his. He still loves you."

I hear a low sigh come from just outside of the room. My father then walks through the doorway. A tear rolls down his face. I've never seen him cry...

"Valentina..." he starts, but he never finishes. As he begins to speak, the door is busted in. People in jackets with eagle designs come through the door.

My father goes to rush them, but they shoot him several times in his leg, rendering him unable to stand. The people in the eagle jackets move towards my mom and I. She shields me with her body. She goes to swing at one of them... when I hear a gunshot.

My mother falls. Her eyes are opened wide. They are no longer warm and welcoming. They are cold. They appear like hardened mud. She's gone...

They grab me and one slings me over his shoulder. I struggle against him but it's no use. He's too strong.

I see my father using all of his strength to try to stand. He is able to get on his feet, but can't move fast enough to catch my captors.

"Valentina!!!" He yells.

"No! No! Papa!!" I plead. "PAPAAAA!!!!!"

Present

As I tell Coulson this story, he looks surprised and almost intrigued.

"As they drug me away, I was able to see words written on their jackets. I know where they came from..." I say as I look into his eyes harshly. "... S.H.I.E.L.D."

Coulson's expression changes. It's almost like he's had a revelation of something he knew but didn't want to know.

"That wasn't S.H.I.E.L.D.," is all he says. I scoff.

"Not S.H.I.E.L.D.?" I ask in an agitated tone. "The logo, training and weapons beg to differ."

"No it was S.H.I.E.L.D but wasn't S.H.I.E.L.D. That was Hydra within S.H.I.E.L.D."

"Hydra?" I ask.

"Yes," he replies.

"And how do I know that you're not lying?"

"Look at me, Quinn. Do I look like I'm lying?"

I don't answer. I just walk away.