03 | Kouen, the Matchmaker

The scene returned to the busy morning.

Finally, after not being able to spot even the tip of the princess' shadow, Kouen's household members joined the fray.

"So that's where you've been hiding!"

After sensing her atop the tree, Ri Seishuu used the snakes on his head to bind and drag Hyorin away from her hiding nest.

The princess jolted awake at the sensation of falling. Her reflexes could only prevent her from having a few bones broken as she still hit the ground.

Hyorin groaned in pain. Ri Seishuu crossed his arms below his chest, towering over his prey with a triumphant smirk on his face. "Playtime's over, princess."

The four brought her to their master and, upon the latter's order, immediately left.

Hyorin's nervous gaze roamed around the room in a desperate attempt to distract herself from the insane pressure that sat across the table. Ren Kouen, for reasons she did not know, had been staring at her like there was no tomorrow. Minutes had already passed and words have yet to be uttered in the room. She was on the brink of losing her sanity, but dared not speak first.

Say something. Anything! Hyorin screamed in her mind.

"I've been wanting to ask you this," said Kouen, finally breaking the ice. His eyes narrowed threateningly. "Answer me, woman. Your indigo hair..."

He suddenly paused, as if deciding on the right words to say. Hyorin waited in tense silence.

With an eyebrow raised, she awkwardly retorted, "What? They're natural."

"That's not it," Kouen grumbled, inwardly sighing. "You resemble Hyeonjae and Hyunchuu. Are you their full-blooded sibling?"

Hyorin froze at the mention of her departed brothers' names. "H-How did you―?"

Kouen's expression remained stoic, but the thoughts in his mind raced with excitement.

Then, that little girl from before was her? He smirked, pleased at the interesting turn of events. We did meet again, Hakuren-sama, as you have foretold.

When the prince did not answer her question, Hyorin asked again. "Were you acquaintances?"

"Rivals is a better term," Kouen said and finally removed his gaze from the princess. Hyorin unconsciously sighed in relief.

"It is a shame that your brother died. He could have taught you a thing or two about rational thinking."

Hyorin flinched at his sharp words.

"I heard that you attempted to kill Koumei." Kouen stated as he stood from his seat and walked to her. Hyorin watched his every move with heightened caution, which the prince did not fail to notice. "Due to your rash actions, the second chance your father had begged for will be wasted."

She rose in alarm. "Wait! I―"

"Only fools would allow a third chance," was Kouen's merciless comment as he breezed past the princess.

Hyorin paled. She grabbed his cloak in desperation. "I'm sorry! What I did was incredibly stupid, I know, but I just wanted to save my family. Please! I'll do anything, just spare them!"

"I'd rather die and sacrifice my family before we become your puppets!"

Kim Seojun's words suddenly flashed in Kouen's mind. He peered over his shoulder and looked at the princess from the corner of his eye. The trembling hands that clutched his cloak refused to let go and her eyes, despite tearful, were filled with sincerity and ever-unyielding determination.

A coy smirk formed on Kouen's lips―a clear sign of contentment on having his secret plans fulfilled.

That's the answer he wanted to hear.

"Then, Kim Hyorin, I order you to marry Koumei."