07 | The Wedding (2)

When the wedding and reception had ended, Koumei and Hyorin headed to their room. After both had drunk the nuptial wine and had Hyorin's phoenix crown removed, all of the attendants were excused to leave the two alone.

"Geez, that was tiring!" Hyorin whined while stretching her aching neck. "We didn't even get to eat because we were too busy greeting everyone."

She sat behind the round table filled with food while Koumei headed for the bed. "Lady Hyorin, I'll be going to sleep now."

"Aren't you hungry?" she asked.

"I'm all good," answered Koumei. Hyorin simply hummed in approval, her mouth already full of the food she had been craving for the whole day.

"Ah, by the way," he stopped at the doorway and turned to his wife. "Don't drink the—"

GULP.

Koumei instantly froze at the sound of Hyorin finishing her cup of tea. She even gave a satisfied sigh before dramatically slamming the cup on the table.

"Weren't you informed of what they'll be putting in there?" he asked in disbelief.

Hyorin blinked, confused of the sudden change in Koumei's complexion. "It's a tea that will increase stamina, right? I'm tired so I drank it. You should too. You're as pale as a ghost!"

No! That stamina was meant to be used for something entirely different! Koumei rubbed the back of his head and inwardly sighed. He was about to rush to the bed to escape his wife's incoming waves of lust when Hyorin's words instantly put him to a halt.

"If you won't drink yours, can I just take it?" she said, already reaching for his cup.

Koumei almost tripped on his way back to the table as he desperately snatched it away. Hyorin looked at him with an eyebrow raised, and he chuckled nervously.

"I'll drink it before going to sleep," was his simple explanation. "Good night, milady."

Once seated on the bed, the prince poured the contents on a nearby flower pot.

Koumei was already lying on the bed, about to divulge in a pleasure that work had denied from him for a long time, when a memory suddenly flashed in his mind.

"Marry me or I'll kill you."

That's right! That woman could climb up on him, restrain him, and do whatever she wanted once he had fallen asleep. He could get killed or, worse, get her pregnant!

It was a critical time for them. Subjugation of the west was about to start, and Koumei couldn't afford to be distracted. He immediately sat up and walked back to his wife.

That was the third time he got back, Hyorin thought. "Are you going to sleep or what?"

"I'm going to eat first," Koumei said and joined her at the table.

"Is the food to your liking?" he asked, starting a conversation.

Unbeknownst to him, the girl he had married was a gourmand. So, when Hyorin responded with an enthusiastic nod and a child-like grin, Koumei was stunned to silence.

His impression of her began to change. He thought, maybe his wife wasn't that bad?

Boy, was he wrong.

In the middle of their conversation, Hyorin suddenly started removing her outer robes.

Koumei's eyes widened in alarm. He asked warily, "What are you doing?"

"Aren't you feeling hot?" she said while fanning her neck with a hand. Koumei inwardly cursed. The tea was starting to take effect!

He decided to feign ignorance. "No, I'm quite thin which makes me more susceptible to the cold. I don't feel hot at all."

"So," Hyorin threw him a threatening glare. "You're implying that I'm fat?"

For a famous tactician, it was rare for Koumei to commit a blunder. He mentally scolded himself for mentioning weight in front of a woman. He definitely did not want to be a dad, but he didn't want to be dead either!

"Not at all," he replied in defense. "I have merely witnessed your physical prowess so I assumed you have a sturdy body."

Hyorin nodded with a satisfied grin. What she did after was something that Koumei did not expect. She suddenly rolled her sleeves and pulled the skirt of her dress to show her well-toned arms and legs.

"Not bad, right?" she asked. Koumei only gave a nervous smile and gulped obscurely. He scratched the back of his head in embarrassment.

Slowly, the gleam in Hyorin's eyes faded and her head hung low.

"My older brother was the one who taught me how to fight," she stated solemnly, before looking up to meet Koumei's gaze. "In exchange for my cooperation, you allowed my family to live. Are they doing fine?"

"Yes," he answered sincerely. "Though we might have had them separated to avoid a rebellion, I assure you that we're taking good care of your family."

"I see. Thank you," Hyorin muttered.

"—is that what you expected me to say, asshole?!

Koumei watched Hyorin's sudden change of mood with a blank expression. She was bawling while slamming her fists on the table, and he was sure it would be soon his turn to get hit if he didn't do anything!

"Lady Hyorin, please calm down!" He tried to reason with her, before throwing a quick glance at the empty cup that was now rolling on the floor.

What the hell did they put in there? His wife was acting like a violent drunkard!

"This wouldn't have happened if you redheads didn't invade my country!" Hyorin lunged at Koumei who hurried out of his seat to escape. He was shocked, however, when she pulled him in a tight embrace instead of knocking him unconscious.

Koumei looked at the arms that encircled his waist and glanced at the woman behind him. She had her face buried on his back, making her expression indiscernible.

Hyorin mumbled something against his back. Koumei blinked. "W-What?"

"I said," she took a deep breath and exclaimed at the top of her lungs, "I hate you, mophead!"

It all happened in a flash.

Koumei felt a powerful pull on his waist. He was hoisted up in the air and his surroundings had become inverted.

Then, everything went black.

Welcome to Suplex City!

• • • • • •

Author's Note:

Merry Christmas, everyone! Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Don't forget to vote and leave a comment (and pray for Koumei's possible injured neck)! Love lots!