08 | Poison Cooking

When Koumei woke up, his head felt like it had been cracked into two. He slowly examined his surroundings and realized that he and the wrestler he had married had fallen asleep on the ground.

He sighed, relieved to at least have their clothes intact. It seemed like his wife had not done anything inappropriate to him while he was unconscious. Still, it was necessary for a newly-married couple to present an evidence of their successful consummation as such was a custom in Kou Empire.

Koumei gave Hyorin a thoughtful look. After making sure that she remained in deep slumber, he slowly leaned towards her vulnerable figure.

• • •

Hyorin was awakened by repeated distress calls. She slowly opened her eyes and found three chambermaids peering down at her with worry.

"Milady, the Empress will be in her garden soon," one explained. "Please allow us to assist you in your preparations."

Indeed, it was also part of the tradition for the husband and wife to greet the Emperor and Empress after the night of the wedding.

Hyorin glanced around the room and assumed that Koumei had already gone to see the Emperor. She immediately changed into a new set of robes and allowed them to fix her hair and the rest of her appearance. She dozed off in the process, making her fail to see something that easily reduced her maids into a blushing mess.

Soon enough, Hyorin reached the Empress' Palace. A eunuch announced her presence and she was allowed to enter the garden. She proceeded to the gazebo where the Empress and the Imperial Princesses had gathered, and it seemed that she was the last to arrive.

She strode to the center and bowed before Gyokuen, the Empress of Kou Empire. "Greetings, Your Majesty."

Everyone's attention was directed to Hyorin. Most of them gave her looks of wary, while the others with clearer vision blushed at the sight of love bites on her neck.

"I-Is that a hickey?" asked the Third Princess in disbelief. On the other hand, the Fourth Princess laughed, obviously amused.

"Wow, I didn't know Second Brother had it in him!"

Gyokuen noticed it too and simply chuckled. She rose from her seat, walked to her daughter-in-law, and took her hands in hers. "No need for pleasantries, child. You can call me Mother."

Hyorin gave Gyokuen a confused stare.

She answered flatly, "But you're not my mother nor Koumei's."

A snort was heard amongst the crowd. If the red-haired princesses didn't like her before, they definitely did now. Still, they had appearances to keep and pretended to side with Gyokuen.

"Sister-in-law, please be mindful of your words," said the Second Princess. "The Empress may not be our or your mother by blood, but she is the matriarch of this country."

Hyorin quickly reflected on her tactless answer and apologized.

The gathering ended after an hour, and Hyorin was approached by a certain woman. She was the only one who possessed a different hair color among the princesses, allowing Hyorin to recognize her with ease.

"Lady Hyorin, would you like to join me for lunch? Only if you won't be eating with Lord Koumei, of course," asked Hakuei with a smile.

Hyorin had no prior appointments and immediately accepted her invitation.

Chu'un, as ordered by Koumei, remained by Hyorin's side. He slowly leaned towards his mistress' ear after the First Imperial Princess had disappeared from sight.

"Milady, Princess Hakuei's cooking is well-known for its—" he paused hesitantly, "eccentric taste. Please with proceed with caution."

Unbeknownst to the people of Kou, the young Princess of Shi was a gourmand. New flavors attracted her and were not something that she found repulsive. Hyorin simply nodded in recognition of his words.

• • •

The sun soon soared high in the sky and Hyorin found herself drooling in front of a table filled with enticing dishes. She hastily took a seat across Hakuei, who only chuckled at her obvious excitement.

Oh, how looks could be deceiving! Chu'un pitied the unsuspecting newcomer.

"Chu'un," called Hakuei. "Feel free to join us."

"I dare not overstep my bounds, Your Highness." He gave her a short bow and exited the gazebo before he could be dragged into a tragedy.

After thanking Hakuei for the meal, Hyorin took a bite. However, the instant the food landed on her tongue, she wanted to hurl!

What the hell is this? Was this made by the devil himself?! She inwardly cursed after her mouth had been numbed to paralysis. Hyorin couldn't even understand what it tasted like. It was simply... disgusting in every way possible!

A sudden thought came over her and her eyes widened in alarm. Was the food poisoned?!

She quickly glanced at the woman across the table who was obviously enjoying the same meal. When Hakuei looked up from her plate and met Hyorin's gaze, she smiled. "Is it to your liking?"

Hyorin was about to yell a brutal NO when she added with a bashful smile, "I personally prepared these for you."

Ah, the guilt trip.

"I thought you would be lonely so I tried some recipes from Shi," she further explained. "Since this is a welcome gift, it had a touch of Kou in it."

Obviously, it was a horrendous idea.

Unable to bear with the food in her mouth but also not allowed to spit it out, Hyorin forced it down her throat. She wanted to scream and insult the blasphemous food that dared harm her tongue, but the happenings of earlier reminded her otherwise. She had to avoid being tactless and inform Hakuei of the truth by using considerate words.

Saying outright that it tasted bad might come off as rude. Hyorin nodded and decided to be subtle.

"This is—" she started tearfully, "the first time I have tasted something like this."

Hakuei watched her with eyes full of sympathy. Misled by Hyorin's words, she believed that her sister-in-law was fed poorly back in her country. "Please eat more. I can always cook for you if you loved it that much."

I don't love it! When did I say that! Hyorin barely managed to stop an outburst. "No, I—"

Hakuei tilted her head as she awaited her next words. She looked so endearing, Hyorin wanted to scream. If only she was half as annoying as Koumei, stating the truth would have been a lot easier!

"There's no need to hold back. We're sisters now," Hakuei assured and reached for her hands.

"To be honest, I don't get along well with my stepsisters. They seem to be too wary of me." Her smile seemed solemn until she faced Hyorin. "So, I'm really glad to share a meal with a fellow lady like this."

And, at that, Hyorin surrendered to her conscience. Damn it all. She would just bear with the taste and finish at least one plate.

However, the moment she took a second bite, she passed out.

• • • • •

Author's Note:

Rest in peace, Ren Hyorin.

To those who might be wondering where Hakuryuu was, he immediately ran away after hearing that his sister cooked lunch.