01 | The Incident

Rushed footsteps and howls of worry echoed throughout the Cheonhyeong Palace, home of the Royal Family of Shi. The supposed to be peaceful morning became an eventful one after an unexpected game of tag ensued in pursuit of a missing princess.

"Milady, please show yourself! Prince Kouen of Kou Empire is searching for you!" A chambermaid called wearily. They've been searching high and low for her since the break of dawn, yet not even a tip of her shadow was seen.

Amidst the finding frenzy, a middle-aged man suddenly appeared from behind. Upon recognizing him, all of the servants bowed.

"Have you found her?" he asked.

"Not yet, sir."

He sighed in exasperation but expected all the same. "Outgoing as usual, that student of mine," he commented.

"Geez!" One of the soldiers groaned and scratched his head in fret. "How could Her Highness act like this in such a difficult time? We just lost the war! The fate of the Royal Family has yet to be decided so she shouldn't make a ruckus!"

Everyone released heavy breaths simultaneously. The chambermaid stared at the grey-blue sky in wonder.

"Where in the world did Princess Hyorin go?"

Unbeknownst to them, the subject of their conversation was only a few meters away, sleeping like a log on a tree branch.

• • •

F L A S H B A C K

Yesterday afternoon, a post-war trial was held between Kou Empire and Shi Kingdom.

Inside the hall were high-ranking officials and leaders from the different nobilities of Shi and a minority of generals and household vessel users from Kou. They stood in tense silence as the defeated family entered the room, unarmed and surrounded by the victor nation's soldiers.

The chancellor from Kou then formally announced the annexation of Shi and passed sentence to the royal family.

"The King and Queen are stripped of their royal status and will be exiled to a distant province in Kou Empire. On the other hand, all children of the King are to be publicly executed through decapitation by the end of the week."

The generals from Shi instantly went pale. "What?!"

"I see," En Shou nodded in understanding. "The King and Queen pose no threat so we're letting them live. However, it's a different case for the youngsters, especially the Metal Vessel users who can start a revolution at any time."

Amidst the cheering that broke out among the Kou crowd, a loud voice echoed with full authority. Ren Kouen, the First Imperial Prince of Kou Empire, spoke from the throne.

"That verdict is revocable. If the families merge, we will consider this as a treaty and lower the punishment to dethronement." His stern gaze was directed at the Crown Prince of Shi.

"How about it? Will you accept the offer, Kim Seojun?" Kouen taunted. "We're giving you the privilege of marrying into our family."

The Crown Prince of Shi barely managed to retain his composure due to anger. Faking a courteous smile, he said, "I'm honored, but I must respectfully decline the offer. I'm already married and have two children."

"That's not a problem," Ren Koumei, the Second Imperial Prince of Kou interjected. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that taking concubines is also a part of the royal tradition in Shi."

However, Kim Seojun remained obstinate to the offer, stating that he had already vowed unwavering loyalty to his wife. Koumei resisted the urge to snort indignantly.