secrets - cake

requested by @StaceyStonier
this is really long but i honestly worked hard on it so i hope you guys like it!!!!

luke and calum's relationship was far from ideal. though they were deeply in love, they were forced to keep it a secret, fearing the kind of judgment and disapproval management, the band, and the world could potentially cast on them if anyone were to find out about them. it was never easy, and it broke their hearts having to hide such an important part of their lives from the people they loved and cared about the most. there were so many times the two thought about cracking because truthfully, they  were tired of the facade they both had to put up. they wanted nothing more than to at least tell ashton and michael, as the feelings of guilt and dishonesty were constantly haunting them. they were best friends and it felt wrong that they weren't a part of their big secret. however, the idea of anyone else knowing was too terrifying to give in to, so they suppressed the hurt and continued their covert relationship.

they had no idea how they managed to keep it a secret for a month, let alone two years. luke had always been the worst confidant out of the four. whether he meant to or not, he always ended up spilling things that he swore he would never say to anyone, and he never meant any harm by it, he just had a ridiculously hard time keeping his mouth shut. however, his relationship was a totally different story. he knew how important it was for what was going on between him and calum to go unnoticed, despite how hard it was at times. both often felt that people were growing suspicious of their secret romance, their friends especially, but they had become masters at deflecting certain questions and eventually figured out how to act around each other in ways that wouldn't raise any questions.

luckily, ashton and michael decided to live together, leaving calum and luke to be roommates in their own apartment. while it usually worked in their favor, it didn't make their relationship perfect. feeling compelled to keep their love a secret was an incredible burden and it sometimes took a major toll on their relationship. not being able to freely express their affection was devastating to both of them, and it frustrated them to no end, but they made the most of it and took advantage of any time they could get behind closed doors.

- - -

when luke woke up sprinting to the toilet for the fifth day in a row, he knew something wasn't right. at first, he thought it was just a particularly nasty case of food poisoning— miserable throughout its duration, but ultimately something harmless that would pass after a day or two. however, as much as he wanted to blame it on that, he knew five days was much too long for the cause of his nausea and sickness to be food poisoning.

as luke emptied his stomach, he heard a soft knock and feet moving towards him. calum knelt down next to him and gently rubbed his back.

"still not feeling well, lu?" he asked, pressing a kiss to luke's messy blonde hair.

luke, finally catching a moment of peace, shook his head and fell back into calum's arms with a heavy, defeated sigh. "i don't know what's wrong. i thought it was food poisoning, but...i don't know."

"maybe we should take you to a doctor, babe, get you checked out," calum suggested. he was expecting a protest from the younger boy, but was instead given a small nod and a hum of approval that indicated he agreed.

"alright, i'll call when this passes. want me to stay with you until you're done?" calum asked, still rubbing luke's back.

"no, you don't have to, it's gross," luke laughed dryly, "i'll be fine."

he really wanted to say please stay, i know this is disgusting and i'm really embarrassed right now but i need you here, but his pride wouldn't let him. he could only hope that calum would somehow catch on.