Monsters in the Dark

Blood splashes against Alicia's cheek and she blinks, registering the scene before her. Oliver grunts as the creature sinks its teeth deeper into his wrist where his sleeve has ridden up. He's grabbed its head, stopping its lunge. She can't seem to react as numbness seeps through her body. It's only when Oliver plants the muzzle of the gun against the monster's head and pulls the trigger that she jolts.

The creature crashes to the ground and Alicia manages to draw in another breath of air after her final one.

She rounds on Oliver, already tearing away a strip from her tunic to wrap it around his bleeding wrist.

"It fucking bit me," he says, clearly astonished and in as much shock as she is.

Alicia lifts her gaze and meets his eye as she tightens the knot around the wound. "You saved me."

"Don't ask me why," he grumbles before grabbing her hand and intertwining their fingers, his blood slickens her own fingers. They run together towards the exit once again, leaving behind the flickering light of the burning oil to get lost in the darkness of the tunnel.

Scuffling footsteps follow them but they're far enough behind that Alicia can try and focus on navigating the tunnel. That's easier said than done because if Oliver's hand weren't in hers then she'd assume he isn't with her.

"I can't see anything," she gasps as they stumble through the dark, staggering over loose stones.

"Just keep going," he grunts and Alicia has to tighten her hand in his as he lurches forward.

"Oliver," she starts as they both feel their way along the walls of the tunnel.

"What?"

"I'm sorry for pointing a knife at you."

He pauses for a moment and Alicia has the feeling he's trying to find her face in the dark before he gives up and continues forward. "I don't blame you."

"How'd you end up working for the Ronavics?" she questions, needing to fill the silence with something other than their laboured breathing and her pounding heart.

"No offense, Alicia, but we're still strangers and I'm not telling you that."

"Strangers that are about to die together," she points out.

"Aren't you a morbid little thing?" he chuckles then curses as he hits something, bringing them both to a standstill.

"What is it?"

"We've reached the wall we broke through," he says and begins inching through the gap that she can't see, no matter how hard she squints.

Alicia clenches her fingers in his, halting his movements. "Oliver," she breathes. "Please don't let go of my hand."

He tugs her hand, urging her through the gap after him. "Sweetheart, this might surprise you but I don't particularly want to be left alone down here either, so don't let go of my fucking hand."

They stumble into the tunnel beyond and Alicia can only hope that whatever is following them is slowed by that wall, because finding their way out of this place in the dark may take them longer than they have.

Alicia grips Oliver's upper arm in her other hand, refusing to be separated from him, from her only lifeline at the moment. She's terrified, but she takes solace in knowing she's not alone. It's the only thing stopping her from wrapping her arms around her head and huddling in the dark like she did as a little girl. It didn't save her then and she doubts giving in to her fear will save her now.

Her eyes strain in the pressing darkness, barely able to make out Oliver who she practically presses herself against.

"Gods help us," she breathes, closing her eyes, trying to pretend she's not surrounded by the suffocating darkness.