Her Hope

With a cloak over her shoulders and Sebastian at her side, Alicia only gets a passing glance from the guards as well as a knowing smirk. She finds no qualms with the fact Sebastian has sought comfort in women, a part of her is glad he managed to seek comfort at all, and it certainly makes it easy to walk through the palace halls that she had hoped to never set foot in again.

She'd dream about this place as a child when her stomach was aching and her blanket was scratchy against her cold flesh. She'd dream about the riches, the abundance of food, the pretty dresses, the horses that would ride to those domes in the utmost splendour, and she'd fall asleep with tears dampening her lashes, knowing someone like her would never find her way into such a place.

Now those dreams are nightmares. Twisted and wretched and far more honest than what her childish fantasies made her believe.

"The duke will be in his office," Sebastian says, his cane a rapid tap on the polished marble. "I suggest we just ambush him."

"I trust you're not leading me into a trap," Alicia says with a huff of a laugh though a part of her fears such a thing could be true.

Sebastian glances down at her, a frown marring his features. "I may have my reservations about the rebels, Alicia, but... not you. Never you. I know you want what's best for Muovea considering your upbringing."

He doesn't know the half of her upbringing, but Alicia nods anyway.

The door they stop outside is one she knows, and one she always tried to avoid. The grand duke's office, hidden behind a dark oak door. Light trickles from the sliver of space at the bottom of it, telling them that someone is inside.

Alicia closes her eyes for a breath before they push open the door and enter together, side by side.

Behind his desk sits the grand duke, glasses perched on his narrow nose as his green eyes flick over the papers before him. As she looks at him, studies his slicked back, greying hair and his thin lips, Alicia can only see her pa cradled in her arms, his blood drenching her hands, sticky between her fingers.

This man wanted her dead, but he instead took her father from her, a man that sought redemption just as she is. He'll never get to find that sort of peace anymore.

And now she has to beg this monster for help.

She should just end his life, end this mess right here and now before it gets worse. Avenge her pa. Please. But she ignores that part of her that wants to see vengeance and instead listens to the part that wants to see Muovea survive the coming horde.

Sergey Volkov glances up at them, a flicker of surprise passing across his features before he tilts his head and the emotion is gone. "I'd ask how the filth got back within these walls," the grand duke murmurs, "but your time here will be brief." He opens his mouth to shout for the guards, but Alicia steps forward and raises her hand.

"Wait," she says, meeting his eye. "The key at Korvik Keep. I have it. Along with your journal."

Rising from his seat, Sergey looks down his nose at her but doesn't say anything.

"You use your soldiers and guards to help hold back the hundreds of Grey Bloods marching to these walls—saving Muovea—and I give you both."

"You're lying."

"About what? You know I stole the journal. There's enough in there to damn your loyalty to this country."

The only indication Alicia gets that Sergey hears her is the flaring of his nostrils.

"Your soldiers or your power. I'd take the offer, Grand Duke." Like Sergey hides his emotions, Alicia does too when all she really wants to do is vomit all over his plush rug.