Skulking Figures

The fires burn, hungry for the continuation of its life, desperate to keep raging. Alicia is surprised at first to see the fires, black smoke curling into the sky, blending with the dark clouds that have rolled in. She quickly remembers that all that takes life lives longer in these lands, of course the flames would thrive.

Alicia watches Sam tip the bottle of gin to her lips before offering it to her. Alicia shakes her head, turning her sight back to the distant flames. She buries her hands in the pockets of her black coat, unable to get rid of the feeling of the recoil of the gun in her hands.

So many promises to herself broken. How many more can she break before the masks shatter completely?

They stare in heavy silence—Sam, Alicia, and Galya along with those who were with her—watching the dark mass of Grey Bloods being either devoured by flames or wandering far away until Alicia can't see them anymore. Back home they go, back to the wasteland they crawled from.

The Greys failed to snuff out Muovea's spark today. There's still a home to go back to. Just not for her.

Alicia's eyes move to the figures that approach them, climbing the hill at a slow pace. She lets out a breath as she sees Oliver's stoic figure on the cart empty of its barrels. They all made it. By some miracle they all made it.

Sam leans a little closer to Galya, and Alicia smiles softly as Galya slips her arm into the crook of Sam's elbow, silently glad to see them both happy again, glad that Sam has moved past her need for revenge. For now, anyway.

Alicia watches Oliver jump down from the cart and the first thing he does is reach for the metal container in his pocket and his matches to spark a cigarette. He takes a moment to tilt his head back and savour the first drag of smoke before continuing his approach to them.

"Nothing like a brush with death to keep you feeling alive." Galya is the first to break the silence between them, an easy smile gracing her lips.

"Ain't that the truth," Oliver answers with a husky laugh. Galya offers him a drink of the gin and he takes it with a subtle bow of his head before moving to her side to watch the haze of colour and shadow that blankets the land before them.

"You should have seen Alicia's shooting," Sam says, a smile curving her lips even as Alicia stiffens at her side. Oliver raises a brow, leaning forward to study her. "She has a good eye."

"Luck," Alicia replies quickly. "Merely luck."

Sam snorts, shaking her head. "It was skill, not the favour of the gods."

Alicia doesn't answer, instead choosing to gnaw at the inside of her cheek, feeling Oliver's gaze boring into her.

"We did the right thing," Galya says, lifting her hand to give a gentle squeeze to Sam's upper arm. Alicia's thankful for her interruption, but Sam and Oliver's answering silence doesn't do anything to settle her.

"We did," Alicia confirms.

"Sam," Galya murmurs to the girl at her side, resting her chin on her shoulder. "There's always another way."

Sam turns slightly, brushing Galya's temple with full lips. "I trust you," she breathes.

"How very touching," Oliver speaks, piercing their reverie and Alicia presses her lips together to hide her smile. Sam sends him a threatening look, but he simply flicks the butt of his cigarette away and rolls his shoulders. "Yeah, yeah, I'm going. I need a fucking bath and a better drink anyway." He takes the remnants of the bottle of gin and moves to the horses. "Alicia." He turns to her, inclining his head and Alicia follows, glad to leave the Dead Lands behind as soon as possible.