Sapphires

Wringing her hands, Alicia stares up at the porch before her, frustrated with herself for being daunted by the simple slats of wood and sagging tin ceiling. She works with Sasha so much that she has the gut instinct that this woman isn't the one to blame for the notes, but she can't be too sure. Her disdain for Sam can't be shoved so easily under the rug.

Alicia steps up onto the porch and raps her knuckles on the door before she can turn herself around.

"Who is it?" Sasha shouts from within and Alicia swallows, her throat painfully dry.

How does she go about asking someone if they're conspiring with the exiles that killed her aunt before her eyes?

She clenches her fists at her side. "Fuck," she mutters under her breath before lifting her chin and saying louder, "it's Alicia."

The door flies open and Sasha looks at her with a frown between her light brows, her blonde hair a mess around her face from where it slips out of her usual bun. "Are the stables alright?"

"Yes, they're fine. Viktor is still there. I just wanted to talk to you."

Sasha hums and nods. "Alright, but come inside. I have some stew that'll fatten you up." Sasha turns around and walks into the home, leaving the door open for Alicia. She pauses, glancing around, still wondering how she's going to navigate the tricky waters she's wading into.

Alicia just shakes her head and enters Sasha's home, closing the door behind her. She walks down the hall warily, glancing at the faded patches on the walls where pictures once hung.

"The old bat that used to live here had an obsession with flowers," Sasha says as she turns into a room to the right, noticing Alicia's gaze. "She had pictures of flowers all over the house. No sign of the woman herself when I moved here though."

Alicia follows Sasha into the kitchen but stands in the doorway, shifting from foot to foot, eyes roving over the old wood and worn floorboards of the place. The furniture is scarce and looks about ready to fall apart at any moment.

Sasha spoons a heap of stew into a bowl from a large pot on the stove, the food steaming and Alicia's stomach rumbles obnoxiously with the scent of it. She hasn't eaten since bringing those notes to Oliver, her stomach twisted into too many knots.

"If this is about what I said at the tavern the other night then I'm sorry."

"No, it's not," Alicia replies with a wince.

Sasha places the food on the table with utensils and then looks at Alicia. Alicia can only stare between Sasha and the food, uncertain how hospitable she'll be once she realises why Alicia is here.

"Sit down," the woman orders, placing her hands on her hips, her gaze unforgiving. Alicia can't do anything but what she's told, taking a seat by the food while Sasha sits across from her, watching her with a piercing gaze of moss green.

Alicia begins eating, barely tasting the food.

"You were going to be our next queen."

The urge to vomit grips her as she looks up at Sasha. Alicia swallows, licks her lips, and shakes her head. "Where'd you hear that?" Alicia spoons more food into her mouth as the corner of the woman's mouth lifts in a smile.

"I didn't hear it. I saw your picture in the paper when you were betrothed to the prince. I was exiled not long after."

Alicia tries not to choke on the food, and the next swallow is a struggle. Could Sasha really be the one behind the notes? Could her gut have led her astray? It wouldn't be the first time since donning silks instead of blades.