A Mother's Love

With the wind in her hair, the air around her smelling of rain and grass, Alicia begins to feel like herself again after six years of pretending otherwise.

She takes the stallion through the fields, a wide smile on her face as she finally feels some semblance of freedom. She knows it's only temporary, that her reality is chains until the herd is destroyed and the Curse is cured. But for this moment she allows herself to breathe and not feel guilty for it.

The rolling hills of Muovea are vast and green, broken up by clusters of trees or farmland, manors sit high and mighty atop hills, lush gardens sprawling with mazes and bright flowers. For all of Muovea's turmoil recently, this place hasn't been affected at all, sitting stagnant, sitting in the past.

This is where Alicia will find her mother.

Alicia was hardly at their manor in the hills, attending balls and elaborate horse races as she was. She spent more of her time in their house within the north. Her ma was frequently there though, tending to the horses that were the Zalana family's pride and joy and what gave them their money. Alicia's love for horses never faded, and she always found a way to spend time with the peaceful animals when she should have been present at an assortment of classes.

She tries not to overthink about how different and terrifying her life has become.

Alicia slows the horse, eyeing the road surrounded by emerald grass before her. The path leads to a mansion of white stone and sharp spires, walls on either side of her, the gargoyles of some ancient creatures with vicious fangs and glorious horns looking down at her. Her mother has always had extravagant tastes.

Alicia nudges the horse forward, passing through the open iron gates, watching the people that pass her on horses or in carriages. It's always been a busy place, a place of meetings and gatherings and it hasn't changed. Alicia doesn't miss the uniformed soldiers situated about the area. Once the manor didn't need guards, but times have changed even in this place. She still raises a brow, wary that most soldiers work for the grand duke. She doesn't stare for too long.

Lining the road are ugly hedges, trimmed into many of the gods and potted in huge ivory pots. Alicia wrinkles her nose, knowing that this is what she spent years sacrificing herself for. All she sees in those hedges—in that white stone of her mother's mansion—is the blood that she had to spill to get them here.

Alicia shakes her head, hating that this is the home she bled for as though it ever meant anything to her beyond heartache and suffering.

She rounds the magnificent fountain, one of the gods in the centre holding a blade pointed to the clouds. A monstrous and wildly unnecessary thing, really.

Alicia jumps down from the horse, running her fingers along his broad neck in an attempt to build some courage as she looks upon the wide open doors that lead to a past she never thought she'd face again after exiling herself. She just has to keep reminding herself that this is for the survival of everyone within these walls.

A young boy comes to collect the horse and Alicia thanks him before taking a deep breath and walking. Her boots crunch on the gravel, and she becomes extremely aware of what she's wearing. Her white shirt is one of Oliver's undershirts, tucked into pants that are far too loose for her. At least she doesn't have blood on her, none that she can see anyway.

Alicia tucks her hair behind her ears as she steps onto the marble floor polished to a shine. She sinks her teeth into the inside of her cheek, the strong scent of flowers bombarding her senses and nearly stinging her eyes.

Walking, she takes in the dark burgundy furniture that her mother favours. Her steps echo on the marble as she passes windows framed with gold and tapestries embroidered with silver. A temple of riches while so many starve.