Chapter 2 ✨

Melanie

"Derek, is that the last bag?"

"Go look for yourself."

Why does he think that just cause Mama ain't inside the house he can order me around and talk to me anyway that he wants?

Before I could say anything to put Derek back in his place, Mama yelled from outside.

"If y'all don't get your ungrateful asses to this car, I'm going to leave without you!" Mama shouted.

"Melanie hurry up and close the front door!" Derek shouted as he ran to the front seat.

"Jeez, I'm coming, I'm coming. I call shotgun by the way!" I shouted back at him

"Have fun sitting in the back seat for 6 hours, because you ain't getting this seat!" he said as he buckled his seatbelt.

Rolling my eyes at his childishness, I closed the door to the house I've called my home ever since I could remember. I ran to the backseat of the car because the look that Mama was giving me because I was wasting her time chilled me to the bones. As we departed the driveway, I took one last look at our old house remembering all the good times and bad times we shared in its walls.

Putting my earphones in my ear, I gradually fell asleep thinking about whether I'll fit in with the crowd in Florida.

(After 6 long hours)

I woke up to Derek licking the side of my face.

"Eww, Derek, my highlight!" I shouted

"You wouldn't wake up and I had to resort to licking your face."  he casually said.

Fuming, I got out of the car and admired the view before me. Our new house was a normal two-storey family house. It looked cozy and it was perfect for Derek, Mama and I.

I got the house keys from Mama and opened the front door

I got the house keys from Mama and opened the front door. The smell of fresh lavenders was very overwhelming as I made my way through the house looking for the second biggest room because it was obvious Mama was going to keep the biggest room all to herself.

I opened one of the doors at the end of the hallway and I knew that this room was mine. The room was fairly big but perfect for me. The walls were a creme colour and the floor was covered in grey carpet. I had a queen sized bed with two desks next to it. I also had a large window near my closet.

There was also a small walk in closet which had many compartments and shelves

There was also a small walk in closet which had many compartments and shelves. The only thing I didn't have was my own bathroom which I desperately wanted because Derek always took the longest time in the there doing God knows what.

 The only thing I didn't have was my own bathroom which I desperately wanted because Derek always took the longest time in the there doing God knows what

(After bringing the boxes inside and unpacking)

"Derek and Melanie by the time I close my eyes and open them again, I want both of y'all to brush your teeth and get ready for bed because you both have school tomorrow.

"Ok Mama." we both said.

Even though I'm 17 turning 18 I still have to follow the rules that Mama has set because and I quote "You live in my house so you follow my rules."

I quickly did my night routine and put my sleeping bonnet on before closing the blinds and turning off my light.
"I hope tomorrow goes well." was my final thought before I drifted off to sleep .

⚡️⚡️⚡️
You might be wondering where her dad is. The story is that, when she was 12 years old and Derek was 8 years old, their dad was in the army and he died while serving his country. Anyway, comment and vote. 🍑