Chapter 3 ✨

Melanie

"Get your ass out of bed, my child!"

"Ma!"

"Do you know how long I've been calling your name so you can wake up because you have school?"

"I didn't he-"

"No, you do not. I'm going downstairs and by the time I finish making the pancakes you better be at the kitchen table waiting for me."

Grumbling, I got out of bed and went to the bathroom to start my morning routine only to find that Derek was already in there.

"Derek, get out of the toilet I'm going to be late for school!"

"Sucks to be you then."

"Mama, Derek isn't coming out of the toilet!"

"You should have woken up the first time that I called you."

Why does it feel like this family is always against me?

I heard the bathroom door open and saw Derek taking his time walking out the door.

"You're lucky I was already finished." he said with a smirk on his face.

I pushed him out the way and started my routine of brushing my teeth, washing my face and doing my makeup which I decided to do natural. Once done, I decided to just put my natural hair in a top knot bun.

I went back to my room and looked in the mirror. I wasn't tall and skinny. I was short and thick but I loved my curvy body the way that it is. I remembered that I had to get ready so I got dressed in a cropped champions hoodie, my green and brown army pants and my white fila shoes.
(ignore the fanny pack)

Taking my school supplies, my phone and my backpack, I made my way downstairs knowing that Mama would have finished making breakfast

Taking my school supplies, my phone and my backpack, I made my way downstairs knowing that Mama would have finished making breakfast. When I reached the kitchen, I saw Derek at the sink and Mama putting a bowl of Coco Puffs on the kitchen table.

"There's your cereal."

"I thought you said you were making pancakes?"

"You're lucky I even gave you food to eat. Back in my day when I was going to school, I didn't get to eat anything for the whole day until I came home."

Knowing that she was exaggerating, I ate the Coco Puffs in silence while checking my social medias.

"Derek, Melanie let's go. I'm dropping you off to school."

Quickly, washing my bowl, I got up and ran to the front seat leaving Derek to lock up.

The drive to school was 10 minutes with traffic so I could easily walk if I really wanted to. We approached the school and the sign at the front read Henry Heights High School. Mama parked in the car park while Derek and I got out and started walking to the front doors.

Everyone was staring at us as we made our way inside.

Have they never seen black people before or what?

One particular set of blue eyes that was trained on me caught my attention. The owner of the eyes was really good looking and wore a smirk on his well structured face. We maintained eye contact but I quickly looked away as to not embarrass myself.

I finally made it the front doors and with the help of my brother I tried to locate the front office.

"Hey, are both of you new?"

I looked behind me to the source of the voice and found a light skinned girl with blonde and brown curly hair staring back at me.

"Um, yeah we are. Do you know the way to the front office?"

"Yeah I do. It's just right around the corner. I'll walk you guys there."

"Ok, thanks."

We followed her to the office and stopped in front of the secretary.

"By the way my name is Destiny Smith."

"Melanie Jackson."

"I'm Derek."

"I'll see the both of you guys around then."

"Thanks for the help by the way."

"No problem."

We watched her walk off and I turned to face the secretary but not without turning to raise an eyebrow at Derek who continued looking in the direction that Destiny walked off.

"What? She's hot."

Shaking my head I muttered "Boys." under my breath.

(After all that stuff)

"Well, I guess we'll see each other at the end of the day at the car park?"

"Yeah, ok."

Turning around I walked down the empty hallway looking down at my timetable and trying to find my English classroom.

Thankfully, it wasn't that hard and I spotted it in 10 minutes tops.

"Here we go." I said to myself before I knocked and opened the door that may or may not lead me to my doom.

⚡️⚡️⚡️
What's gonna happen once she enters the classroom?
Comment and vote 🍑