Chapter 4 ✨

The door to my doom opened and everyone instantly turned their heads to me and watched me with their beady eyes. I looked over at the teacher's desk and saw a fairly young teacher looking at me anticipating my response.

"Um, is this class 028? English with Mr Payton?"

"Yes, it is. And who might you be?"

"I'm Melanie Jackson, the new student.

"Aah yes, I remember now, I heard about you from the principal."

Turning to the class he spread his arms and said.

"Ok class, here's Melanie Jackson. She's a new student so please welcome her with open arms."

"Ok then, Melanie please take the empty seat next to Daniel Collins. Daniel raise your hand."

Nodding my head, I looked up and only then I realise that blue eyes was in this class. He had his hand raised up and an arrogant smirk was displayed on his face. I made my way to the empty seat and ignored the glares that I received from a blonde girl with a white halter top and a light washed blue denim skirt.

"What's up Mami?"

Ignoring him I sat down on my seat and grabbed the stationery that I needed from my bag.

"You ignoring me or something?"

"Is it that obvious? And don't call me Mami."

"Oooo, feisty me likey." he said eying me up and down like I was some sort of candy.

"This boy is about to get on my last nerves." I thought to myself.

"Is that so? Well, I'm sorry to say but me no likey."

With that being said, I ignored his attempts at trying to seduce me and continued listening to Mr Payton drone on and on about improving our punctuation and grammar. I need to continue with my straight A's and occasional B's because if I don't, I may as well say goodbye to America because I'll be kicked back to Africa without hesitation.

(The school bell rings)

As soon as the bell went, I packed up my things and made my way to the door but not without making one last eye contact with Daniel. My next class was PE and I found the gym really easily as it was right down the hallway. I went into the locker room and found Destiny getting changed in there with other girls.

"Hey, Melanie."

"Hey."

"This is my friend Jasmine. Jasmine meet Melanie."

"Hi, girl."

"Sup."

Before we could continue talking our gym teacher came in and told everyone to hurry up. I quickly got changed into the really short school gym shorts and the small gym top. I made my way outside to the tracks with Destiny and Melanie beside me. We stopped behind a group which consisted of Daniel, some other boys and Blondie who was basically hanging off Daniel. We waited for our instructions from the teacher which would determine what activity we would do today.

"Ok class you're going to do 2 laps around the track to warm you guys up and then the girls are going to learn some cheer tricks from Stephanie and the boys are going to play some American football with Daniel as the quarterback.

Sighing, I started my 2 laps around the track with Destiny and Jasmine in tow.

(After the 2 laps)

"You guys can separate now."

Before the guys left, Daniel gave me a wink and walked off with a blonde boy beside him. Destiny, Jasmine, the other girls and I followed Stephanie to the side of the field and started stretching. Stephanie and two other girls who looked like replicas of her stood up and she started addressing us in a really whining voice.

"Just by looking at you guys, I know you all aren't good at any cheer tricks or being a cheerleader in general. So, we're going to start off with a cheer game where you do the skill I tell you to do and if you can do it then you're still in but if you can't then buh bye loser. So let's start with a basic cartwheel."

Standing up with the other girls in tow, I did a cartwheel and finished in a split just to sike Stephanie out. She gave me a glare which did nothing but make me laugh at her weak attempt.

"You know what guys? Change of plans. Since the new girl wants to challenge me and my tumbling skills I'm going to put her back in her place and show her who is the queen bee and head cheerleader of this school."

"Can this girl get any more dramatic?" I thought. "Like seriously how cliche can she be?"

Waiting for her to start, Stephanie did a roundoff and ended it in a split. I counteracted that with a back handspring into a back tuck. She did two front aerials followed by a side aerial and she finished it with a back tuck. We went like that counteracting each other's tumbling with our own for quite some time. Tired of the worthless competition, I went in and did a round off followed by three back handsprings and finished my performance with a full twist.

All I heard was clapping and cheering as I made my way to the other girls. I turned around and found that Daniel had a proud smirk on his face plus all the boys were looking. Taking my jacket, I walked back to the change rooms with the girls next to me

"Melanie you seriously need to consider trying out for the cheer team like damn girl, nobody knew you were so good at tumbling." Destiny said.

"I don't know. I just did that just to show that she doesn't scare me."

"Mel, you really should think about it because everyone, including me, was legit surprised." Jasmine said.

"We'll see." I said changing out of my gear into my normal clothes.

"Sit with us at the cafeteria." Destiny said as we made our way into the busy hallway.

"Sure." I said thankful that I've at least made some new friends on my first day.

⚡️⚡️⚡️
Ok, that was a pretty long chapter. At least Mel showed Stephanie who was boss. Anyways, comment and vote 🍑

Here's a photo of Jasmine ⤵️