| five |

As soon as the door to the staircase shut, I slammed Joey against the wall and held the blade of the knife against his throat. He knew better than to struggle with me holding the knife to his sensitive skin.

"You have a lot of balls coming at me accusing me of having anything to do with Zach's death." I spoke in a low voice, staring him dead in the eyes. "How long have you been working for them?"

"For who? Widia, get that damn knife away from me!" He grunted. I held my forearm across his chest and fixed my handle on the knife.

"You know who, Joey! You're a HYDRA thug."

"Is that what Barnes told you?" Joey crinkled his brows together. "Get that knife away from me and we can talk—,"

"No!" I raised but voice but quickly lowered it so no one could hear me. "No. I am done talking. You are a disgrace, you know that?"

"They put me undercover in HYDRA a year before it came out of S.H.I.E.L.D."

I shook my head just slightly.

"You're a lying piece of shit, Joey. The FBI didn't know about HYDRA before S.H.I.E.L.D."

"Right. That's 'cause I'm a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent." He spoke quietly. I crinkled my brows together and tilted my head to the side a little.

"You what?"

Joey used his strength to push me off of him. I took a few steps back, still holding the knife carefully.

"I was put into the FBI by Director Fury. I established good relationships with people so I could get him Intel on certain things. When he started suspecting something was off with a few agents, I took a year off of the Bureau to go into HYDRA."

I put my empty hand on the back of my head and moved away from him.

"Did Zach know?"

"No." Joey shook his head. "Not even Beth knows. You are the only one who knows aside from Fury and Maria Hill."

I turned back to face him.

"What did you do with HYDRA?"

"We can talk about that later, Widia."

"No, we're talking now." I spoke through my teeth to him. "Did you ever do anything to him?"

"To Zach? No, Widia! Of course—,"

"To Bucky." I cut him off firmly. It was only a matter of time before I went off. My patience were extremely thin and I could feel my blood pressure rising. "Did you ever assist in wiping his memories and making him into the Winter Soldier?"

Joey didn't answer immediately. I took a step towards him just as the lights went out. A few seconds later, emergency lights came on.

"Something's happening." Joey spoke to himself.

"We'll finish this conversation later." I pulled the door open and stopped. People were running. Dozens of armed men were going in the direction everyone else was running from.

"Hey, Booker? What's happening?" Joey stopped someone in the hall.

"Someone set the big guy off."

I looked to Joey for an explanation.

"Shit. It's Barnes." Joey cursed.

My eyes widened and I immediately took off in a sprint after the armed men. I pushed my way through, determined to be the first to get to Bucky.

———

I broke off from the armed men to go towards the box Bucky had been put into. The armed guards seemed to have other places to be.