| eleven |

"Widia!"

I jolted awake, my eyes snapping open. My fingers wrapped around the first thing I could find. It was hard and cold. I easily recognized it as Bucky's left arm. My heart was pounding almost painfully against my chest.

"What happened, doll?" He was leaning over me. His dark hair fell around his face. As he sat back against the counter in the kitchen of my home, he pulled me into a sitting position.

"I saw him." I let myself fall forward to lean against him. My forehead rested against his shoulder. "And I blacked out."

"Did he say anything to you?"

"My name." I closed my eyes as I focused on catching my breath. Bucky rubbed my back. "He knows.... He knows who I am, Bucky. I need to find out what they did to him."

"We'll figure it out, doll." He pulled away and pushed himself to his feet. "Sadie's worried half to death about you." His hands took ahold of my arms and he hoisted me almost effortlessly to my feet. "I'm never letting you do that again, doll." He tucked me underneath one of his arms as he led me towards the back door.

———

I sat at the table in Sadie's kitchen, watching her feed baby Zac and tell Bucky about when Jeremiah built their home. As badly as I wanted to be a part of the conversation, my mind was elsewhere. As my fingers wrapped around the phone in my pocket, I chewed on my bottom lip. The longer Bucky and I were here, the more danger Sadie and her family would be in. We needed to leave soon.

A hand on my knee made me jump. Bucky sat next to me, his hand resting on my leg. My eyes flickered over to meet his. Sadie's back was to us so she didn't see our interaction.

"Are you okay?" He mouthed the words to me. I nodded my head softly, tearing my eyes away from him and back to the lake just outside the window next to me.

"I need to make a phone call." I slipped out of my seat, my hand finding Bucky's shoulder very briefly. I ventured into the living room. The phone in my pocket was pulled out and I dialed Coulson's number.

"Cooper. How's it going?"

"As good as things can get, given the circumstances." I let out a soft sigh, rubbing my temple with my free hand. "I need a favor, Phil."

"I think I'm running out of favors to give you."

"I have just this last one." I sat down on the edge of the sofa. "I need you to put a few undercover agents around my sister's house. She's done a lot for me and right now I just need to make sure her family is going to be safe."

"What's the location?"

"Just next door to my lakehouse in Rochester."

"Okay.... By any miracle would the agents be able to hole up in your house—,"

"No one is using my house, Coulson." I cut him off, shaking my head softly. "If I catch any signs of anyone having been in there, I will raise hell."

"Duly noted. How soon do you need agents there?"

"As soon as possible. There's a house a few doors down from my sister's. The agents could keep an eye her from there without getting too close—,"

"I know how these things go, Widia. I'll send you files of the agents chosen."

"I appreciate it, Coulson." I ended the call and put my phone down on the coffee table. I ran my fingers through my messy brunette hair, a heavy sigh escaped my lips. My elbows rested on my knees and my hands supported the weight of my head.