| sixteen |

The sound of laughter pulled me from my sleep. Groggily, I rubbed my eyes and pushed the blankets off of my legs. My brows furrowed together as I looked around the room. It wasn't our hotel room. Bare feet met cold hardwood floor. I padded quietly out of the room, following the sound of childish laughter.

My fingers glided along the walls of the dark hallway. There was a light at the end of the rather long hall. It was coming from a kitchen. A radio was playing Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses. It was one of my all time favorite songs. I couldn't remember the last time I listened to it. I was stopped in my tracks at edge of the hallway.

A man stood by the stove in nothing but a pair of sweatpants. A little girl rested atop his broad shoulders. Her deep brown hair had been tied back into a horrible excuse for a ponytail. Most of her hair was falling out of the hair tie.

My eyes flickered over to another girl, one who appeared to be a few years older than the one on top of the man's shoulders. The older girl had lighter brunette hair that fell is messy curls over her shoulders. She sat at the table, writing something with an orange marker.

"Daddy! Do it again!" The little girl squealed happily. With his back still to me, the man pulled the little girl from his shoulders and threw her into the air. A delightful giggle escaped her lips. After placing her on his hip and securing one arm around her waist, he stepped towards the stove to mess with whatever he was cooking. Something crunched under his foot.

"Penelope Grace, what have I told you about leaving your markers all over?"

The second I heard his voice, I realized who the man was. It was Bucky.

"Sorry, daddy."

"That's the third one I've broken today."

"Maybe if you watched where you were going...." The little girl at the table hummed. She looked.up from whatever she was doing to meet his gaze.

"You sound just like your mother." He muttered out a sigh as he moved over to kiss the top of her head. "Go pick up the markers, Penny."

"Fine." She huffed and climbed down from the table. She disappeared around the corner out of my sight.

"Penny always has an attitude." The little girl Bucky was still holding said.

"Just like mommy." Bucky turned to go back to the stove but caught sight of me. A soft smile came to his lips. Something about him looked different. "Go give mommy a hug, Angel." He placed the little girl on her feet and ruffled her already messy hair. The little girl bounded over to me and for some reason, I knelt down to her level and engulfed her in a big hug. "I know it's late but they wanted pancakes."

"I told daddy we should wake you up." The little girl that I held, Angel, played with strands of my hair as she spoke. "You make better pancakes than him."

"Hey, I try." Bucky pouted. "I didn't want to wake mommy up. She had a busy day today."

"Is Uncle Stevie and Uncle Sammy coming over tomorrow for breakfast?" The second girl, the older one, asked as she walked back into the kitchen. Angel slipped out of my arms and went over to the other girl.

"I don't know, sweetheart." Bucky shrugged his shoulders softly. The sound of glass breaking and bullets ripping through drywall made me jump.

I jolted awake, fingers twisting up in the white sheets. A thin layer of cold sweat covered my skin. My stomach churned violently. I scrambled to get out of the bed and make it to the bathroom in time. My knees collided harshly with the cold tile flooring.