Chapter 3 - Cells

The cuffs were beginning to pinch my wrists, rubbing them red raw. Then again, I probably shouldn't be complaining. I would be in rope like Evie and Carlos, getting rope burns, if I hadn't managed to worm my way out of the restraints. Jay did it too;we almost got away.
Almost.

Instead, we got spotted, trying to tear apart the bonds that imprisoned Evie and Carlos' limbs, then we got these fancy, state of the art, steel bracelets clamped down  (too tight) on our wrists, and we were back to square one.

The four of us were encircled by armed men, towering above us (especially Me and Carlos. I hate being short), and they marched us down dull, grey, freezing cold corridor after corridor.
Door after door.

Eventually, we reached a pair of towering steel gates, standing frozen on both flanks. I could tell by the stale aura and smell the room gave off, that it was a court room. It smelt like the foul air-freshener they always spray to expel the smell of sweaty criminals that have been in there previously.

But we were dragged straight past it.

Jay and I began to panic. My mind became a blur as I fought against my bounds, willing my wrists to come free and to take my leave.
Unfortunately, I'm not that lucky.

Instead, a guard gripped my wrists behind my back; when I turned my head to catch his face, it was hidden in the darkness of a thousand shadows. I continued to study the dark mass, trying to make out at least one feature - colour of the eyes, tip of the nose. Nothing.
I don't know why I was so eager to identify this man. The others didn't matter to me, but this one seemed different.
Familiar.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Jay fighting his restraints, pulling on them like they burned. His attempts were futile though, because all he did was attract more attention.

"Okay, what's going on?" A voice. I had enough free movement to turn my head towards it, and Carlos came into view, his fear visible through his crystal brown eyes.
"The four of you are being arrested," replied the guard behind me gruffly, but it sounded forced.
Then, I caught a detail.
A pair of Solid Gold Eyes.

"Do we at least get a trial?" I could tell that he knew who my question was aimed at.
"No," he replied, voice flat and void of emotion.
"What?" Screamed Evie and Carlos at the same time.
"The four of you are the only living, not captured, beings that are capable of this offence, so no trial is required."
We stared at him, mouthes gaping.
I don't even think it's legal to imprison us without a fair trial.

"What the Isle?!" Jay protested. "This wouldn't even happen there!"
I would point out that a. The Isle didn't have an (effective) prison, and b. Most of the villains admitted to their crimes, but I don't think this is the right time.

Complaints filled the air, the voices of Evie, Jay, Carlos and I creating an unbearable cacophony.
"-Enough!" We fell silent.
"Look," the guard in front turned around, and laughed softly, but humourlessly, "we have our orders. It's our job to carry them out. Now - Come on!"

<><><>

The Auradonian cells are almost as scummy as those on the Isle.
Then again, they were easily escapable; these are no-where near as crumbled. Or on the verge of collapse.
If they were, the four of us wouldn't still be here.

The cells are lined up, descending down like stairs, deep into the deep, dark unknown.
I'm in the second cell you see, with Carlos being in the first, Evie in the third and Jay in the Fifth. (There's a man in the fourth, looks like something off the streets, that was caught for pickpocketing.
Imagine that though! You get caught nicking a wallet or two, and they chuck you down here!)