Chapter 13 - Unnatural Colour

I haven't done a Ben chapter in a while, so... Here you go.

From the perspective of Ben.

The new villain kids are showing up today.
The ones Evie had suggested I collect from the Isle next - Gary Strongarm, Drew Facilier and Dizzy Tremaine. They should be in the Limo on Fairy Godmother's Bridge at this very moment.

I considered a fourth villain kid to bring over, like we had originally with Jay, Evie, Carlos and... Mal... But decided that three was more than enough, especially after the fiasco last year with Quentin, who I still haven't forgiven, Lydia and Michael.

Hearts still comes to Auradon Prep, I see him from time to time, but we make a point to completely avoid each other.
Michael Gothel and Lydia Tremaine, however, have moved on. Being slightly older than the third member of their trio, they've scored themselves successful jobs in General Hercules' forces, as a soldier and a strategist. I should know. I helped them get the jobs. Being King is all about seeing the good in people.

That ever-present idea is exactly what was keeping me hunched over my desk, pen in hand, at ten in the evening, arranging the next batch of kids' arrival.

Since it was so late, the new VKs would get here, and be introduced to the school and it's grounds in the morning. The 'big theatrical entrance' we had organised on the first occasion was essentially a flop, and created an intense aura of awkward silence that the four kids were unable to shake for the entire day. That's why we have Fairy Godmother meeting them in private and giving them a tour tomorrow.

I gave a huff of frustration, slamming my pen down and standing up, ignoring the slam of the chair when it hit the floor.

Despite all the business that should be distracting me, all the things that should be filling my mind, I couldn't help but think of her.
Think of Mal.

What was she doing? Was she okay? Would I... Would I ever see her again?

From the amount of times I've spoken to my Auradon friends, I can tell they miss their significant other with great intensity, just like me.
I've listened for hours, to Doug talking sadly about his plans for life by Evie's side, while Lonnie and Jane hugged, comforting each other.
None of us have been particularly happy since Mal sent us away from that forest about a week ago.

I watched the sun set from the window in my office, my elbows, clad in the Royal blue of my family colours, resting on the sill.
The usually blue sky was clouded with colour, splashes of pink and orange and yellow and red adjourning the sky like blotches of paint on canvas.

I've always loved watching the sun set. The whole concept of new beginnings, and bringing the old adventures to a close has always struck me as almost mystical. Like we're continually given new chances to make the best of the world.

Since we've been together, Mal's known that I love the sunset. Once upon a time, when she was aspiring to be an artist, before the deep mess we're buried in, she painted me a portrait of the sunset. It hangs behind my office chair, in a delicate, hand-carved frame. Reminding me that tommorow will always bring a new chance to make a difference.

I tend to look at it when I'm feeling down, or there's a problem that seems impossible to solve. Right now, I can't help but marvel at the similarity between it and what's occurring out my window right at this second. To the very last detail.

I've always been a man of nature, and one of the reasons that I spend so much time in my office at Auradon Prep is because of the view.
It's absolutely astonishing.
The luscious leaves of the colossal trees sway in the wind, getting blown across the scene like a gigantic moving painting.
I can just about see the enchanted lake from here; a place that has become increasingly important to me after meeting Mal, then Holly.