Chapter 14 - Caught

I knew as soon as Carlos showed me the image on the website, what we had to do. 

It was clearly recognizable, there wasn't anything I'd ever seen like it.
Not even in that dreary leaflet I found from the Auradon Museum a few months ago.

Luckily enough, it was something I recognised - from a hazy memory in the back of my mind, but a memory nonetheless.

Naturally, Auradon things come to Auradon people, so as soon as I saw the crystal-like rock that greatly resembled the one that Ben produced from the shimmering waters of the Enchanted Lake oh so long ago, I knew exactly what we had to do.
(Fun fact: when this crystal first showed up in the movie, I was expecting it to come back, or be important. Was that just me?)
That, and the fact that none of us could actually swim to go and get it.

It consisted of luring Ben down to the lake, feeding him some sob story, and convincing him to fetch us the item we needed.
In order to do that, I had to catch his attention. What better wsy to do that than to appear as Mal right in front of him?

Every evening, Ben stands at his office window, staring out into that sunset he loved so much.
Then, I show him my purple hair, which seems very specific to me as Auradonians are too boring to have interesting hair colours, and we wait for him to come to us.

Pity my plans never seem to go my way.

<><><>

Of course something important was scheduled for that night. When does anything ever go right for me, after all?
And of all things, it's the night when the new Villain kids get here?! One of the only events that is critical for Ben to attend.

I groaned in frustration as the Limo containing however many New VKs drove out of sight.
I don't know what we're going to do now. We could look for him ourselves, but given our current standing with officials like Fairy Godmother, who is, without a doubt, also there, I don't believe that can be the best plan of action at this moment.

There's also the possibility of trying to find someone else willing to fish the shell out of the water. Unfortunately, how many souls are actually pure? One of the only (legal) things I ever learnt from my mother's teachings is that everyone has a bad side.
Some just choose to keep it hidden.
Besides, who in their right mind would jump in a lake, looking for some magic item just because a group of strangers told them to?

Jay and Carlos continue to whisper to each other and me, about whether I'm sure that this is the same crystal, or whether I'm certain that the Limo was carrying VKs towards the school and not someone else - namely Ben - away from it.

"Yes I'm sure," I growled back at them. "I knew Ben was arranging for another batch of kids from the Isle, but I didn't think he'd do it so soon."
They stayed silent after that.

It had only been a few minutes since I gave up hope of my plan working, yet I was already listing possible 'plan B's in my head. Would it accept me if I used my charm to transform into Ben? Who else in Auradon could be considered innocent enough to get the shell? Would it be possible for Carlos to get it without drowning?
He immediately voiced his wish to' keep ahold of his life, thank you very much'.
I blinked. "You're right, sorry Carlos. What in Auradon was I thinking?!" Risking my friend's life? Not even my mother would be evil enough for that!
Okay, so maybe she would, but it's not like there's anyone else on earth that matters to Maleficent enough anyway. Except maybe Diablo. Certainly not me.

Carlos sighed, and stood up.
"It's okay, Mal. I know you're stressed out. We'll find a way to get Evie back, I promise."
I looked into his swirling brown eyes, and slowly nodded. He's right.
He gave me a soft smile, and held out his hand.
I grabbed it, and he pulled me up.
"Let's go get that shell."
We walked off, into the dark cover of the trees, searching for a way to save my friend, oblivious to the cries from Jay, who we had left on the floor.